• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Youth Bow- eye dominance?

Coach1310

Good day all. I am looking to get a bow for my 9 year old. He just wants to be able to shoot a solid bow, but I am also hoping to get him something he can use for a while. As soon as he is able, he would love to be able to hunt with it. What bows do you all have experience with and recommend?

My second question is about eye dominance. My son does everything right handed, like I do, but is left eye dominant, like I am. I shoot everything left handed, but was curious if anyone has experience teaching a youngster to shoot opposite their eye dominance and if that matters? I would love for him to be able to shoot right handed to have more access and better options when it comes to finding a bow AND I think it will be easier for him to pull back and draw the bow with his right(dominant arm/hand).

Any information would be great and appreciated.

For my now 10 year old, I bought a Barnett Vortex youth bow for $99 on clearance a couple of years ago and another hundred bucks for basic needed accessories and to get it set up for him at the local pro shop. He likes it and it works well and we can dial it up to 45 pounds so he can hunt with it if we want. Probably will buy a new bow by then, though. Point is, something less expensive and basic can be a good entry bow. Know another family with three young kids shooting competitively and that's what they were using until the kids were 16 and they were kicking butt, winning league shoots consistently. Kind of like the trap shooters with the 870s that do just fine with those factory run guns.

As for eye dominance, I am sure many will respond that if you are left eye dominant, that you must shoot left handed. But my son is in the same situation and the local pro shop manager who could shoot an apple off your head simply helped my son by placing his hand over his left eye when he was shooting and he learned to keep it closed. Its not ideal but it works, well, very well. So why make it harder for the kid?

As for bows, I would look at one of several out there that offer ten inches and 50 lbs of draw length and weight adjustment. Mission, Bear, Diamond and others offer these.

As for having him shoot RH even though he is Left eye, I recommend against that for several reasons. Sure you can do it that way and he may shoot well for many years as I did, but it will eventually get to where he can't overcome it.

1. Since he is just starting and you are not retraining muscles, it will not be any more difficult to start left hand

2. He will almost guaranteed have to shut his left (dominant) eye if he shoots RH. However, if he shoots LH it is very likely he will be able to shoot with both eyes open. Advantage is seeing more with the peripheral vision

3. His coordination early on may seem funky, but after awhile it will be much better shooting with his dominant eye than with the other

4. He won't have to switch later in life

5. Unlike the old days where mfg's didn't want to pay for a mold to make a left hand riser in all models, most bows today are available in LH, especially those that have a machined riser

6. He will plain out shoot better with his dominant eye

Both my kids are left eye/right hand. I started them both left hand at 4-5 years old and they both are excellent shots I on the other hand have just switched to left hand after 35 years, and it's going well. But I should have done so much earlier, or just started that way.

Left eye dominant, shoot left handed. Please don't get him started the wrong way just because it's easier. At some point in his life, shooting off-sided will only limit his ability to be as good as he can be. Let him see and shoot with his best eye.

I am left eye dominate and shoot right handed. When I started as a youngster every bow that was around was right handed so thats just how I thought it had to be. It works pretty well for me, the only time it's an issue is in low light situations, which of course is when most of the shots while hunting come into play. Shooting with both eyes open really does have its advantages. If he's just getting started I would defiantly get him going with a left handed bow, I wish someone would have done that for me growing up. good luck

My son is left eye dominant, but does most everything else right. We started him out with a left handed bow and shooting a gun left handed. He is an awesome shot!

I have a friend who is left eye dominant but shoots a right handed bow. He uses a kisser button instead of a peep. He still has sight pins but they are about as far left as the sight can go. His groupings are OK, not great.

I say start him out with a left handed bow and shooting a gun left handed.

Also, my son shoots a Diamond Razor Edge. We bought it used. Great bow for the money!

Nels

ANy quality bow you are thinking of buying is now available in a left-handed model. Strength in right vs left is negligable. Especially when you realize that you pull the bow with your back and shoulders.

Do your son a favor and get him shooting left handed. Using his dominant eye will only make him a better shot.

As far as good bows, almost all the major manufacturers are making highly adjustable bows that are capable of being used by young kids and adjusted up to adult sizes.

My personal favorite and the one that started the movement is the Mission bows from Mathews. I bought the Mission Craze for my daughter and she loves it. It is adjustable from like 15"-30" draw length and 15 pounds to 70 pounds draw weight. It is very easy to make adjustments at home using just allen wrenched so I make the adjustments as my daughter grows and gets stronger.

Again, most of the bow companies have copied this design and are making comparable bows. Hoyt, Diamond, etc. They are all good. Expect to spend $250-300 or so. he good news is you can set it up for yourself as a backup bow if you want. I have the settings marked on my daughters bow so I cna adjust it to me with just a few screws and turns. Its lots of fun for everyone in the family.

I'm right handed, left eye dominant.

Up until the last couple years it really hasn't effected me. I've learned how to shoot this way and have done well.

However, the older my eyes get, the harder it becomes to overtake that picture. Things which once were clear, are now fuzzier. Doctor says no need for glasses yet. But this has effected me down my road... and I'm only 37.

If I were to do it all over again, I'd have wished I started left handed.

I'm right handed, left eye dominant.

Up until the last couple years it really hasn't effected me. I've learned how to shoot this way and have done well.

However, the older my eyes get, the harder it becomes to overtake that picture. Things which once were clear, are now fuzzier. Doctor says no need for glasses yet. But this has effected me down my road... and I'm only 37.

If I were to do it all over again, I'd have wished I started left handed.

Don't worry Gus, you have plenty of time. I'm just getting around to it now at 55. Been shooting a week and at 20 yards the arrows are touching. It's actually an advantage for me, as i haven't yet built up the sensitivity in the forefinger (trigger finger) of my left hand, so right now it's more difficult for me to anticipate the shot than it was right handed. If you can get it so you are surprised when that baby goes off you will shoot better than when you punch it, or make it go when you want it to. Right now the lack of "experience" shooting left handed is helping me in that department.

Left eye dominant, shoot left handed.

Listen to DonBo! If he shot a basketball left-handed would you force him to shoot exclusively right-handed? He'd be able to do it, but it'd be a mistake. Same for eye dominance and archery. It's a mistake to fight the hard wiring of the brain/eyes.

As for bows, I'd suggest a Mission Craze. Excellent bow with a lot of adjustability in draw weight and draw length. It's available in left handed models.