• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

40 hp merc tilting

givetoget

I have a 40hp merc 4 cyl. tiller with power tilt. When tilting up at one point the engine will fall forward about half to one inch. when al the way down I can move the top of engine back and fourth about the same.it pivots on two bolts at the bottom with what looks like rubber bushings that say suspension on the side. there are two bolts at the top where its moving in and out. would this also be bushings? Any thoughts. if its bushings how big of a job to repair. Rough estimate of cost at dealer?

Thanks for any and all help.

Looking at the diagram I am having a hard time telling which bolts you are talking about.

There is a swivel bracket that has a vertical shaft the motor pivots on, and it has the steering arm on it. there is a transom bracket that attaches to the boat and has a horizontal shaft that goes through it and the swivel bracket that lets the motor tilt.

There are also like 4 versions of power trim and a manual trim.

If the bushings on the shaft that connects the two brackets were missing it might cause a problem.

Happy to send the diagrams.

Thanks del, it would not be the transom bracket, i would think its the one the motor shaft that motor pivots on and steering arm on it. at the bottom of that bracket there are two bolts with like rubber shock absorbers? also at the top of same bracket there are two bolts that look like they would have the same rubber mout but cant see very well.

for email try [email protected] if that dont work we can try another

Thanks much del,

If I'm understanding you correctly and the movement is at the top of the bracket, then the bushings in question are item #8. #29 are the bottom bushings. If the the top bushings are shot then that means the powerhead needs to be removed to get to them as they are actually inside the driveshaft housing. I wanna say it took me around 3 hrs or so but I'm not sure what a shop flat rate would say.

full-13203-49167-image.jpg

Thanks guys for the help, the diagrams were a lot of help.With what you the info and advise you have given here I have decided to do it myself.It won tb for a few weeks, wich brings me to a ? could i still use boat without the motor comeing off of boat.

Boat fixer can i get part #s 17 & 18 back in with out pulling lower part.

Also would I be wise to put in new water pump in at this point. It does still work but just the Preventive maint. side of it. Any other advice or warnings (LOL) would be appreciatd.

Thanks again, GTG

If the motor mounts are that far gone I wouldn't run it anymore.

In regards to 17&18, It would be nearly impossible to know if they lined up. The exhaust tube might but the water tube I doubt. So pulling the lower unit is the only real way to do it and at this point, yes I would probably put in a new impelle.

Thanks for the help guys, my son and I attempted the repairs the other day. It took about five or so hours but we got it done and it works. We had to remove the power head but not the lower unit. The bushings were for sure in need of repair. We did learn a lot by doing it.

Thanks again, GTG