• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The Hens are Crazy! Want some?

The Hens are going nuts right now.

I found way more than I could even imagine eating and have be sharing them with friends, family and neighbors.

Still could get rid of a gallon bag or two if any of you guys in the area would want some tonight. Give me a shout on this thread or pm me if interested.

I'll get some pics up later. Man what a great day in the woods!

That is crazy B Man!!! Pretty much the whole year has been. It's been fun. Am personally done picking. Too many shrooms already packed away. Keep in mind, giving away wild mushrooms is kind of like giving away a puppy. You almost need some background info on the recipient, in order to trust them that they will take care of them/actually eat them and not go to waste. Many people will say thank you and take them, but in the end won't have the gutz. A little unconventional, a little off the wall people seem to do just fine wink

Nice work Brandon ! Land of cheddar or around home? That shot of those hens all around one tree is sweet!

Thanks Pat.

Remember when I told you the other day that I never find "normal" chanterelles? This new woods I was trying out was absolutely loaded with them! I must have punched in 25 waypoints to come back to in the future.

As for the hens, I was in pretty deep when I came across the tree in the picture. It even had two more on the backside. I know why they call it the "Dancing Mushroom", because I was giggling like a little kid and running in circles like a mad man when I found them grin

I marked the spot and carried out what I could. On my way back to the truck I found another one..... and another one........ and another one......

After unloading the first haul I decided to grab my backpack to carry more out the next time. I even pondered bringing my game cart with to haul out the bounty laugh

After four trips my tailgate was completely covered with hens LOL My plan was to go bowhunting that afternoon but I knew I had a lot of work ahead of me so I just went home and started cleaning and processing.

All of the shrooms and pics were on public land in Wisconsin. For every prime hen I found, there was one or two that were past prime frown

If all of those chants and cinnabar red chants were in good shape I would have had to call in sick for work today laugh

That is just AWESOME Brandon. Very cool indeed. Congrats on the amazing finds!

Thanks jpz, it was a ton of fun and my best day ever hunting the fungi smile I'm still very much a novice, but I have a feeling it doesn't get much better than that.

I wish each and everyone of you guys could have been in the woods with me that day, it was unreal wink

Mushroom hunting is so much more than it may seem to somebody that has never done it. No doubt that it is one of the most informative and fun "hobbies" that I have picked up over the years of spending time outdoors.

It is great exercise, produces fantastic meals, and provides the individual with a much broader prospective of nature as a whole.

It's amazing when you connect the dots grin

Region, temperature, soil type, slope, time of year, lay of the land, tree species, sun angle, forest density and the overall age of the forest all play critical roles with what you expect to find and what you will discover.

Not to mention the added benefit of uncovering new deer and turkey hunting areas, as well as finding sheds.

Okay, I am done for now........ but there is still so much more grin

A huge thanks to all of you guys here. I've always had a spark of interest with mushroom hunting, but after learning so much here, hunting with guys here, and seeing all of the excitement, it's like you dumped a can of gas on that little spark smile

Really cool for sure- may need to go with you to make sure you don't misidentify anything... grin

Pat, it should go without saying....... but you are welcome to come hang out anytime smile

I had a blast with all of you guys the other weekend, and hope to have a chance to do it again smile

Nice haul bro!!! This time next year I think you may be a little to busy for shroom picking and bow hunting, maybe you better pass that GPS over to me....LOL

Sounds like a deal Bud smile

In trade, all I ask it that you bring Brian down so he can shoot a deer for me laugh

full-29960-49282-image.jpg

Found a bunch of hens today and some lions main. I've noticed the smaller deep gray hens are much more tender and the larger ones a bit more tough. Any suggestions on uses for the larger hens? Had the lions main tonight, it was awesome!