• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good size jumper cables for full size truck?

I just bought a F-150 and am going to pick up a good pair of jumper cables to store in it. I see they range from 10 gauge down to 2 gauge. What is the best size for jump starting vehicles? I found an 8 gauge pair with a case for $20 but not sure if i should go bigger? Thanks

I avoid using "jumper cables" at all. The best way to start a dead battery vehicle is with a jumper pac. there is just too great of a possibility of hurting the electrical components. buy a good jumper pac and keep it with you in your vehicle. they stay charged for quite a long time. just remember to charge it up once in a while.

not to mention that positioning vehicles to get cables connected can be a challenge and or an unsafe situation.

Always bigger (lower gauge) if you can afford them. Also pay attention to the quality of the clamps.

I've seen several pairs of cheap cables burn up or melt the cover because they are trying to do too much. If you're using a fullsize truck, I would get the best you can afford. Whether you are jumping your truck or someone elses, you're going to want to protect your vehicle by having quality cables moving that much juice.

I found a pair of 20' 4 gauge cables at home depot for only $15 with a plastic case, the brand name is Husky. Dont know how good they are but the price is much cheaper than anywhere else i have looked. Wally world has the same size cables in the everstart brand for $38 and thats the closest i have found in price.

Spend a little extra for good ones and they will last for a long time. Heavy gauge wire and GOOD clamps on the ends so they grip and hold on.

I also like the jump boxes. Very handy to have and some have a small air compressor that isn't great but will do in a pinch. Some also have a usb to plug in a cell phone etc. Ive had pretty good luck even with the cheap ones and still have a couple that still work and ive had them for 5+ years. You can also get some maybe better ones for pretty cheap when they are on sale. Might want to check reviews on some before you buy as like anything some tend to be better than others.

But its MN it gets cold and dark early in the winter so I still carry both.