• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Peterson Indicted for Child Abuse

LMITOUT

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can’t help but laugh at the people who continue to call this a “spanking”. Let be honest here. It’s a whipping, plain and simple. The marks traveled from the back all the way around to the front and in the process also tore his nut sack open. Spanking? Yeah right…

Unless anyone thinks he has the right to do this to the neighbor kid, or a cousin or even a grown adult, then its not acceptable to do it to his own kid either.

If ths was Chris Cook he would have been run out of town immediately

If there was a video of this he would have been run out of town immediately

The ONLY thin threads holding this whole thing up is fantasy football, purple kool aid, and money. When sponsors start canceling that thread will snap.

You could pretty much say that about the whole NFL if you support the NFL your supporting child abuse, assault, rape, prostitution, murder, drugs, cheating, lies, ect, ect.

Do people really watch the NFL to gain morals, ethics, and to learn right from wrong?

You need to be questioning the police and grand jury, this happened 5 months ago and was swept under the rug because they thought it was no big deal.

If you support the Police and the Judicial System you support all the things mentioned above because they let this stuff go all the time. If they did their job it wouldn't be left in everyone elses hands.

Double jeopardy means that if you have been found "not guilty" of a crime by a jury you cannot be retried for that same crime. The government has gotten around that in a handful of instances by charging people with a civil rights violation after they have been been found "not guilty".

In Peterson's case he hasn't been tried for the crime yet.

If you support the Vikings you are supporting child abuse.

I think that is a bit extreme but this situation has caused a dilemma for myself. I really hoped that they would cut Peterson so I could still cheer for my team on Sunday's. With him in the game and the teams stand they took yesterday I don't know how I can do that now. They are my favorite team, have been for 25 years but I can't cheer for them now. The rest of the team shouldn't be punished for his actions but if he scores or is has a significant impact on the game and I cheer I would feel like a hypocrite. Now I will have to explain to my kids (watching the game together is a weekend ritual) why we can't watch the Vikings anymore and why I'm not letting them wear their vikings gear (including a Peterson jersey). Dang, I really just wished they would have cut him.......

What I don't get if this was all old news and Peterson was not charged for it, how can it come up again, and he be tried once again for the same crime? Is that not double jeopardy? Or does that not apply to grand jurys?

He's not being indicted for the "same" crime. He's done this before, or at least something similar to it. Just not to this degree.

It's easy to look at this from a bird's eye view, especially if you've never had to deal with a situation similar to this with another parent, and make snap judgments about it all. The real difficulty arises when you challenge a parent on the way they "parent" or "discipline" their children. I've worked with families for many years thru church and other venues, and I don't know a single parent I've met that won't immediately bristle and become fiercely defensive when questioned about their "methods" of discipline. That's why these scenarios are sometimes "over-looked". Because it is inherently dangerous for any outside entity to step in and attempt to micro-manage how anyone runs their family.

I don't disagree at all that AP took this way too far. But based on his testimony, his completely transparent candor, and his obvious lack of real education, I'm not surprised at all by where he is. At the time, he honestly felt doing this was okay. It's all he knew, so it seemed completely normal to him. He should have known better, but based on everything we can see here, he genuinely didn't know better. He certainly does now.

As for Chris Carter's response...it's pretty clear that he endured the same kind of punishment from his Mom, and he's obviously still scarred emotionally from the experience. You can tell by his intense emotion that he feels this child's pain, and he wants it stopped right now.

This is a tougher situation to judge then one might initially think. How do you express to a parent where they should draw the line with disciplining their children when they themselves were very harshly disciplined (even to the point of abuse) as children?

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not defending him. Today, we see this as obvious abuse. But keep in mind, many would also contend today that yelling at your children would be considered abuse. While only a handful of years ago not many would've even raised an eyebrow at this level of discipline. It's a VERY touchy subject.

Personally, I would think a one year suspension from the NFL (without pay), several hours of anger management therapy, perhaps a few parenting classes, etc., and likely some real time served (behind bars) would suffice as punishment for this crime. He shouldn't lose his entire career, and future as a potential Hall of Fame athlete for making a mistake.

I think that is a bit extreme but this situation has caused a dilemma for myself. I really hoped that they would cut Peterson so I could still cheer for my team on Sunday's. With him in the game and the teams stand they took yesterday I don't know how I can do that now. They are my favorite team, have been for 25 years but I can't cheer for them now. The rest of the team shouldn't be punished for his actions but if he scores or is has a significant impact on the game and I cheer I would feel like a hypocrite. Now I will have to explain to my kids (watching the game together is a weekend ritual) why we can't watch the Vikings anymore and why I'm not letting them wear their vikings gear (including a Peterson jersey). Dang, I really just wished they would have cut him.......

Really, this is the one instance that makes the Vikings unwatchable for you? We've led the NFL in players arrests since 2000. None of the other arrests or misdeeds by the players over the past 25 years - and there have been some real doozies - have been a tipping point?

Canopy I think what he was referring to was there were reports this first case was brought before multiple grand juries and they chose not to indict him. Then, Friday another one did. I have heard various reports that say no, this hadnt gone to multiple grand juries while others say it did. Not sure which to believe.

Now, there is a report of an additional report against him. Different scenario and happened in June vs May from the initial one we heard about Friday. Interestingly enough this child is also 4. [PoorWordUsage]!!! Keep your pants on Bro!

Really, this is the one instance that makes the Vikings unwatchable for you? We've led the NFL in players arrests since 2000. None of the other arrests or misdeeds by the players over the past 25 years - and there have been some real doozies - have been a tipping point?

Right or wrong the majority of the incidents have been minor or the major ones involved an inferior player or a player that I could easily support the rest of the team but not him. For example the Chris Cook debacle was horrible and I think he is a horrible person but I could openly support the rest of team without supporting him. Peterson plays such a major role in the offence and impacts the outcome of a the game to a degree that makes it impossible for me to cheer for the rest of the team if he is playing.

This may not be the right approach but it's how I feel. What he did to a 4 year old is something I can't just look past.

Glad to see the alcoholic/pill popping Mark Dayton came out against Peterson and says he should be suspended. I think Dayton should be suspended from being Gov.

Agreed. I do agree AP shouldn't be playing. However, I don't believe it's Govt's place to interfere with private business.

Srtictly a business decision on the Vikings part. If they deactivate him, they have to pay him. If the NFL NOW comes in and suspends him...they owe him nothing during the suspension...and they owe him very little after this years contract if they so choose to part ways with him next year.

I'm good with it all...either way this ends. He admitted to the whole thing, he's cooperated fully, and issued an apology and course of action going forward.

My house is certainly made of glass...therefore, I will choose not to throw stones.

IMO, the INTENT of AP's actions were in the right place...the outcome was clearly a mistake.

Quote:
Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton said on Tuesday that Peterson should remain suspended while his case unfolds.

The governor said in a statement that Peterson is innocent until proven guilty, but Dayton also called Peterson's actions "a public embarrassment" to the Vikings and the state of Minnesota.

“Whipping a child to the extent of visible wounds, as has been alleged, should not be tolerated in our state,” Dayton said in his statement. “Therefore, I believe the team should suspend Mr. Peterson until the accusations of child abuse have been resolved by the criminal justice system.”

I guess it takes one to know one. grin