• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Upgrading Terrova from i Pilot to i Pilot Link

sikaso

When I upgraded from iPilot to iPilot Link I sold my iPilot head, remote, instruction manual, and lanyard for $330. That's a little more than $100 off retail.

There are guys out there who have a regular Terrova who want to do exacly what you're doing - upgrade - only they don't have Humminbird electronics or don't perceive the need for Link.

Edited to add: My iPilot was unused. I bought the Terrova w/iPilot from a fella who won it in a raffle. Before it ever hit the water I swapped out the head. So you may not get $330 like I did. But I'd bet you'd easily get upwards of $250.

I just did all that today. Had a powerdrive v-2 with transducer autopilot with wireless remote. Have a humminbird 898 on dash. Upgraded to terrova with I Link installed. Depends on what TM you have now will determine the best route. I upgraded, because any motor besides the terrove with I Link you lose all foot pedal control which I need for the type of fishing I do. Also something to think about, if you go I Link you also have to have the latest version of Lakemaster. I am trying to sell my powerdrive 70lb for 450-400. Not sold yet. What TM do you have now and what graph. Or you could off until boat shows and pick up the Minn Kota that deploys and redeploys with I Link for around 2600.

I just did all that today. Had a powerdrive v-2 with transducer autopilot with wireless remote. Have a humminbird 898 on dash. Upgraded to terrova with I Link installed. Depends on what TM you have now will determine the best route. I upgraded, because any motor besides the terrove with I Link you lose all foot pedal control which I need for the type of fishing I do. Also something to think about, if you go I Link you also have to have the latest version of Lakemaster. I am trying to sell my powerdrive 70lb for 450-400. Not sold yet. What TM do you have now and what graph. Or you could off until boat shows and pick up the Minn Kota that deploys and redeploys with I Link for around 2600.

He has the Terrova, as is stated in the title of the post. Swapping out the head module is as easy as can be. Getting rid of the old iPilot head/remote shouldn't be difficult - although this season is geting a little late.

Changing over to the link is easy. The problem is it's between 800 and 850 dollars up front then you still your ipilot to recoup some of your money. I ran a linked system for the last two years and it has its great moments and it has its moments where I'd like to start it on fire.

Changing over to the link is easy. The problem is it's between 800 and 850 dollars up front then you still your ipilot to recoup some of your money. I ran a linked system for the last two years and it has its great moments and it has its moments where I'd like to start it on fire.

LOL, I know what you mean. When it works like I want it to work, it's the best thing ever.

I've learned that in substantial wind, spot-lock is only marginally effective and entirely dependent on being nose into the wind, and being as close to a complete stop as possible when engaging spot-lock. Likewise, following contour in heavy wind can be an exercise in frustration. In wind, Advanced Auto-Pilot works better to keep me going where I want to go.

I swapped out the head unit instead of buying a whole new TM. The upgrade for me was for much more than just the follow the contour option like the above comment. Personally, IMO follow the contour is overrated and doesn't work very well. The options I do like though are that I can monitor my side imaging, mark the waypoint on the sideimaging, then GO TO and the TM will take me right there with a spot lock. Perfect for vertical jigging panfish in the fall. I also like that when I'm trolling, the "advanced autopilot" intended direction will show on the lakemaster map, and change each time you change the course.

I swapped out the head unit instead of buying a whole new TM. The upgrade for me was for much more than just the follow the contour option like the above comment. Personally, IMO follow the contour is overrated and doesn't work very well. The options I do like though are that I can monitor my side imaging, mark the waypoint on the sideimaging, then GO TO and the TM will take me right there with a spot lock. Perfect for vertical jigging panfish in the fall. I also like that when I'm trolling, the "advanced autopilot" intended direction will show on the lakemaster map, and change each time you change the course.

I find that I use the advanced autopilot a lot more than I anticipated. That feature is the shizz. Love it! Also love the co-pilot cruise-control feature.

Bottom line is that boat control is made a whole lot easier with iPilot Link.

Still learning all the features and settings on mine I got last week. What I found so for is I like it. Selling the V-2 helped with the ouch factor when I laid out the cash

No doubt. I sold my regular iPilot off the Terrova (as described earlier), an old motorguide + mount, a two-bank Minnkota charger, 2 12v batteries, an old Humminbird 565, a shed, and an old 16 Track reel-to-reel studio tape recorder, and I was able to take the sting out of paying for the upgrade in iPilot Link, the new HB electronics., the new MK mount, and new three-bank charger.

Has anybody else had problems with their Link remote freezing up to the point that you need to unscrew the back cover, unplug and plug the battery back in? I am on my second remote and both do the same thing. VERY frustrating!

Since it's happened on two consecutive remotes, it sounds to me like a software problem. It might be something as simple as your head unit having been updated to a version beyond your remote, or vice-versa.

I don't know if you've ever updated your software, or even if you purchased your hardware components in the same year, but your iPilot head-unit, HB head-unit, and your iPilot remote all have to be running a version of software that can communicate between the three.

Go Here: http://www.bbcboards.net/humminbird-sonar-gps/, start a free account, begin a new thread, and ask your question there. Either Wayne Purdum or Doug Vahrenberg (both Humminbird experts) will have any answer you are looking for, and they're usually very good about checking the Bassboatcentral forum several times per day and answering questions.

...Or you could off until boat shows and pick up the Minn Kota that deploys and redeploys with I Link for around 2600.

Is this bow mount or transom?

You know the next step is the bow and transom working together to make sure you stay locked on spot or on that contour line. at least it should be if its not already

Is this bow mount or transom?

You know the next step is the bow and transom working together to make sure you stay locked on spot or on that contour line. at least it should be if its not already

As far as I know the new Ulterra is bow mount only. Your idea of dual gps linked trolling motors is intriguing.

Minn Kota Ulterra demo: