• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Early ice with wheel house

FHFO

When the resorts up on LOW say no trucks on ice but I see wheel houses out there will resorts maybe pull out a guys wheel house ? For a fee. This will be my first year with one. I know they always put us in rentals early.Chompping at the bit!!!

They are protecting their roads from people that go too fast and bounce their houses, that breaks the roads up and doesn't allow them to get a good freeze. Plus the only houses they worry about are their own if conditions change.

To make your ball set up higher on your wheeler, I've tried a couple of options and found that a 6" receiver hitch turned upside down didn't work very well because all that weight was too far away from the machine and it seemed to twist my rear axle awkwardly. The option I've used the last couple years that is cheap and worked well is the first picture below- a bolt, a pipe, a ball that will accept bolts, and some chunks of metal for washers. Just a heads up - if you've got an ATV with independent suspension, you'll likely be dragging on the ground because the weight limit on them is not enough to handle most wheelhouses. My Honda Rubicon has a solid axle, so it works, but the limit on mine says 30lbs, so I'm trying this homemade set up made from snowmobile skis below in hopes of avoiding any potential damage ...I just hooked it to my boat to take a picture, but it takes all of the weight off the wheeler.

full-36464-49149-photo(1).jpg

full-36464-49147-img_0669_1_.jpg

To make your ball set up higher on your wheeler, I've tried a couple of options and found that a 6" receiver hitch turned upside down didn't work very well because all that weight was too far away from the machine and it seemed to twist my rear axle awkwardly. The option I've used the last couple years that is cheap and worked well is the first picture below- a bolt, a pipe, a ball that will accept bolts, and some chunks of metal for washers. Just a heads up - if you've got an ATV with independent suspension, you'll likely be dragging on the ground because the weight limit on them is not enough to handle most wheelhouses. My Honda Rubicon has a solid axle, so it works, but the limit on mine says 30lbs, so I'm trying this homemade set up made from snowmobile skis below in hopes of avoiding any potential damage ...I just hooked it to my boat to take a picture, but it takes all of the weight off the wheeler.

full-36464-49149-photo(1).jpg

full-36464-49147-img_0669_1_.jpg

Not to burst your bubble, but I made something very similar to what you did for my IRS wheeler. It worked, but if there is any amount of snow depth or even a few inches of hard crusty "break though" wind blown snow, traction becomes a problem even with diamond chains.

You need some tounge weight to get enough traction, but not too much that it trashes your wheeler.

On bare ice, that will work just fine with chains.

Just hoping to help you from my experience wink

A few years ago we pulled the 11x17 ski house out with the dually on 12 inches of ice, resort said good to go.

Last Winter my buddy pulled out his 20ft wheeled house out with his atv on 10 inches of ice, resort said good to go.

Both on LOW.

As far as pulling heavy houses with atv's. I put the suspension bars on my 800 efi and have had no issues without chains even on bare ice pulling the 20ft dreamshak. The factory receiver bracket broke on first pull with lighter house so had to modify it by bolting a 2in receiver bracket under the factory location. Although this brought me down a little bit a hitch turned upside works well.

BTW, I've left the suspension bars on the atv for a couple years now and they've worked well.