• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Smooth\Dry riding boat

Farley

I could be wrong, but I thought stratos bought Champion and are using the "Fishhunter" hull in some of their models. If so, those Fishhunters were nice riding and stable hulls. They had been prone to transom cracks though. I would hope they had that figured out by now.

Glass boat would be the way to go. I would go Skeeter WX model 1st then Lund GL, Triton, Ranger Warrior, Yar Craft maybe even a Nitro

OP said he has $15k to spend.

Regarding Stratos 386XF: I ran one for a year and my dad had at the time and still has the reata 210. They are great boats, I read that they are made in the same factory as the reata but take that for what it's worth. The layout is the same. Most of the interior is the same hardware (perko light sockets, hatch handles etc.) but they are lower quality than the rangers. For example access under the consoles is a fabric snap on cover, ranger would never do that. Ranger has great resale which is bad when buying used, stratos is not as good so you can save a ton of cash buying a used stratos 386xf vs a Reata 1850....for example the three reata 1850s that are for sale out there now for 26k would probably be about 20k if they had the Stratos badge.

Stratos and Triton are now built in the same plant as Ranger boats are so the fit and finish issues are not there.

I was just wondering what you were getting for speed because my slow 620 has hit 61.3 MPH, and I've been passed by more boats than I care to admit too!

Stratos and Triton are now built in the same plant as Ranger boats are so the fit and finish issues are not there.

I was just wondering what you were getting for speed because my slow 620 has hit 61.3 MPH, and I've been passed by more boats than I care to admit too!

Personally, I've never understood the fascination with top-speed. I get the whole need for a tourney boat to get on spot-one as quickly as possible. But aside from that, who the hell needs to go faster that 50-60MPH on the water? I get going top-speed at 56 and that's about as fast as I care to go. I'm usually happiest and most relaxed running at about 40. A few times a year I'll open her up on a calm day just for fun and to blow the carbon out. Otherwise I don't see why people need to go 70MPH+.

Big water and tournaments. Granted it's not that often when the water will let you go that fast, but when making find of 20+ miles it makes a big difference. It can mean as much as an hour of fishing over a slow boat. This is also a product of what you can do with hull design in glass over aluminum.

Big water and tournaments. Granted it's not that often when the water will let you go that fast, but when making find of 20+ miles it makes a big difference. It can mean as much as an hour of fishing over a slow boat. This is also a product of what you can do with hull design in glass over aluminum.

Yup, that's why I offered tourneys as a caveat.

Fished Lake Michigan in my cousin's Skeeter. Incredible ride compared to the Ranger we took out the year before.

That's a pretty broad statement to cast in a thread about how boats ride. Can you give us more specifics like what year and models your comparing? There are three major factors besides design that effect how a boat rides. Water conditions, how its loaded and who is driving. Was everything the same?

Is say that because I've been beat to death and also had great rides on rough water in Rangers, Skeeters, Nitros and Lunds, but different models each have their own strengths and weaknesses.