• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Smooth\Dry riding boat

Farley

Looking to possibly upgrade the 89 Crestliner Phantom. What boats ride the best on bigger water like Kabetogama\Rainy. Looking for a drier ride as well. If we loose a little speed thats not a problem. The (Alumnacraft) dealer told us Alumnacraft cuts the waves better any truth to that? We'll be putting a Etec 150 on it so looking in the 18-20 ft range.

Of course they told you that smile

Obviously you know better.

You can't beat a fiberglass boat, look at the warrior, yar-craft, ranger etc. lines. I went from an aluminum to a glass boat and won't ever go back. Not all are created equal, you really have to look at the hull design.

You know what they say about Yar-Craft: "Experience the dry one"...that's no joke.

my first boat was an 17' Smokercraft with 90 horse. Boat weighed about 1100# and really didn't take waves too well. I assume that is part the design and lack of weight.

Boat 2 was a 18' Lund Pro V with 175 horse. The thing cut through waves monumentally better than the Smokercraft. I could go nearly wide open in all but really cruddy conditions. Night and day difference.

Yes, the glass boats take waves really well. I think you need to drive any boat first in some good chop to really know. Long rides in bumpy boats are no fun especially for the passengers.

IMO a 150HP ETEC is going to be too small for a boat much over 18 feet. Especially a glass one. It isnt the top end I would be concerned about, but the holeshot and getting up on plane.

For aluminum boats Alumacraft and Lund are the driest that are sold in big numbers in this area.Lunds will run you considerably more money for a comparable model.

If you went with a Lund or Alumacraft you will be more than happy with the purchase. Glass boats are nice, but they cost you considerably more because you better run max HP or you will be under powered. My Alumacraft is rated for a 200, but I run a 150 and I still get 45 MPH GPS with my entire family in the boat. It jumps out of the water too. Very happy with this boat, but if you are really concerned about being dry in the worst conditions get a full windshield and invest in a top for it. Well worth it.

IMO if you want the smoothest riding and dryest boat you can find I would definitly consider a glass boat. I am on my second Warrior with the first being a 21-21 and my current boat is a V193. I have ridden in just about every one of the major brands of fishing boats and I can attest that the Warriors are the smoothes and dryest i have been in. I am in no way affiliated with Warrior and under no obligation to say these things, my comments are based purely on experience. Warrior has offered and is still offering quite a few ride events this summer if you care to try attend one and get some first hand experience otherwise if you can find someone locally to take you for an hour or so, I think you will be more than pleased.

Hands down, if you want a smooth, dry ride on big, rough water...get a glass boat.

Ride in one when there's some big rollers going and have 'em open it up. You'll be expecting the hard crash and it won't be there.

The longer the boat, the smoother the ride...it's also heavier. If you go too big, things like tandem trailers and brakes get involved.

I run a 1775 Skeeter, single axle with only a 75 Yamaha. I can do 32 mph and if it's rough, slow down and let the boat walk across the waves without breaking my back or getting a headache. It's an older boat before the motor ratings changed so 80 is max.

anyhow, do yourself a favor and ride in a glass boat, doesn't matter which brand and see for yourself. You'll like it !

I think the Rangers are bit out of our price range. Another thing is we need to go a little shorter so the boat fits in the garage up there. Trailering isnt a big deal we just have to go about 1000 yards from the cabin to the lake. I'm looking at the Warrior 1800,1895, did Ranger ever make a model that size, we could maybe look into an older model, but most look to be in the 20 ft range. Like I said were keeping our current Etec 150 probably keeping our graphs and trolling motor all we need is the bare boat. Trying to find one around $15,000 give or take some.

My friend has the huge Allumacraft with a 225 on it. Absolutely the worst riding boat ever made. It kills us on Lake of the Woods in any kind of wind. I heard they had some sort of problem a couple years ago when he bought it though that might be fixed. Worst boat I've EVER been in. This year the windshield fell off one side from the pounding.

Ranger does make 17, 18 and 19 foot models. But like any boat the shorter you get there is a tradeoff in rough water smoothness and dryness. Some of that comes from the shorter length and some of it comes from the horsepower limitations.

Nobody ever said the best stuff comes cheap.

Would you say that a 18 ft glass boat would ride better than a 20 ft Alum? Generally speaking of course.

Again...Hands downs YES.

You can't get the ride from ANY aluminum boat that you would in a glass boat.

I should clarify that...IMO.

I still say you need to ride in one and see for yourself. I was absolutely amazed my first time.

We went from a 19 foot glastron to a 18'10" lund. As others have said glass is much smoother. For us we went from a runabout to a fishing boat so the trade off is worth it. Glastron drove like a sports car. Lund drives like a truck. But both have their pros and cons however and even though I miss my glastron I am glad I have my lund. Price kept me from looking too hard at glass fishing boats.

Schubie

A buddy has a warrior tiller 17.5 model and it doesn't handle waves at all like my aluminum boat. To me its not a fair comparison because length makes a world of difference. My boat is 18'11". It handles rough stuff really well while his was struggling on mille lacs. It makes a huge difference the type of waves you have. On mille lacs the waves tend to be long with a big space between them that's why his shorter boat had issues IMO. If he had a comparable length warrior I'm sure it would have had no issues at all.

You are also talking nearly $60k vs $28k for my boat.

Trying to find one around $15,000 give or take some.

Just saw this. If you are looking a New, bare bones, glass boat...I don't think you'll find one for this price, at any length. I can't even imagine finding one at that price.

Finding a Used one without motor and extras will be tough too. But if you look long enuf, maybe...

For that kinda money, you'll probably have to settle for an Alum.

If you want an 18' or bigger glass boat, to spend less than 15k and use your current motor you really only have one choice. Buy a fully rigged 18' or 19' boat which will probably cost you about $20k and then sell the motor and electronics for $5k. I would sell the motor before you take it off the boat so that the potential buyer can test drive it.

I think your motor on a 20' glass boat will be under powered, also I highly doubt you'll find a bare bones hull of what you're looking for. You might MIGHT find a dealer with a used rig that is willing to take the motor off for you and rig yours on. But that means you'll be paying retail price with sales tax. Good luck let us know what you end up doing.

He's right, you will need to at least double that 15 to get a good glass that size 6-10 years old (maybe more).
I disagree, there are plenty of 6-10 year old good glass boats out there for under $30k.

If you want an 18' or bigger boat, to spend less than 15k and use your current motor you really only have one choice. Buy a fully rigged 18' or 19' boat which will probably cost you about $20k and then sell the motor and electronics for $5k.

I had that in mind. Probably going to stay with Aluminum or fix the ol' Crestliner. I got a good idea now of some glass models to keep an eye out for, maybe I'll get lucky and find a 18ft Warrior with a blown motor or something. You never know.

I agree a 150 would be underpowered on a 20 ft glass boat, that and we want to fit the boat in the garage are 2 factors why we want to stay around the 18ft range

If you're patient, you can find a quality used glass boat. A well-maintained and cared-for old boat can provide years of great use for a fraction of the cost.

About 6 years ago I found a 19.5', 1988 Cajun Fish-n-Ski with a 1988 200HP Yamaha V6 for $5000. After making some uprgades in steering, electronics, trolling motor, and trailer, I have a machine that performs right alongside $70,000 Rangers, for about $10,000. She's faster than a Ranger though.

Is she dinged-up? Yup. Do I wish she had more efficient rod-storage; automatic/timed bilge-pump/livewell aerator; sealed storage? Absolutely. Could she die on me at any time? I s'pose, although that generation of Yamaha outboards is known as "bulletproof" by marine mechanics I've spoken to. Is nickel & dime stuff a pain in the rear? It can be. Does she require extra TLC? Yes, and I love to indulge her.

At the end of the day, we all have a decsion to make re; a cost/benefit analysis.

Can you get a great used fiberglass boat for under $15,000? No question about it, if you're willing to be patient and do your due diligence. Can you get a great used fiberglass boat for under $5000? Absolutely, with the exact same caveats.

Farley,

If your interested in a NEW glass boat, and just want it rigged for your e-tec, maybe give Larson boats in Little Falls a call. You may be able to have a boat minus motor built and rigged for you. You probably will have to purchase through a nearby dealer so they can get thier cut, but It maybe possible.

I am not sure you will get it for 15,000 though. Worth a shot though. Check thier site for appropriate phone #. And to check out thier FX series of fishing boats.

I work for and build the hulls for larson, so maybe some bias, but they are a nice boat forsure.

Glass boat would be the way to go. I would go Skeeter WX model 1st then Lund GL, Triton, Ranger Warrior, Yar Craft maybe even a Nitro if they pass the test the next year or two. Im really looking at 2 boats right now. The Skeeter WX and the Nitro in a couple years. Nitro is very well thought out boat but I want them to prove themselves for a few years before I buy one. We all remember the Tracker molded alum boat issues they had.

If I were going tin it would be a LUnd hands down. Best hul design and fit and finish is second to none.