• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

canoe comparisons MN II & BDUB II

With all your help in the thread below I found a couple of great options for purchasing our 1ST canoe next month. We have narrowed our choices down to two models. Im hoping a few of you experts wouldn't mind giving me a few thoughts on comparing the Minnesota II and the Boundary Waters II. Our goals are to find a stable canoe for fishing and traveling in rougher water as well as comparing the amount of gear you can pack for longer basecamp trips. Thanks again as always. Eyes.

I'm assuming these are both made by Wenonah. I would tell you to try both of them. I think you will find these two are very different boats.

Dimensions-wise, the MN II is an 18.5' boat and is fairly narrow. It tends to feel a little "tippier" but tracks straight and fast.

The Boundary Waters is shorter, wider with a more "recreation" styled hull. It will feel more stable and feel roomier despite being shorter.

You will get recommendations for both because they are both popular and very different. I would say for the price you pay, you need to paddle both of them first.

I echo what power stroke said, you should try out both and make your own opinion after that. Based on your uses of rough water and fishing I would hands down take the bw2 over the mn2. Make sure whoever paddles in Front gets their opinions on the purchase as well cause there is a big difference in legroom and usable space for fishing gear.

Yep, as has been said, you just have to get in them if you want to know which you'll prefer. As Powerstroke said, the MNII is faster and feels tippy for some people. I don't find it tippy at all, but I suppose compared to a wider, slower boat, it would have less initial stability.

I don't remember if I shared it in the other post, but when it comes to design, the BW can handle is heavy load too. 4 years ago we packed my wife and I, our two daughters ages 10 and 7 at the time and a springer spaniel into out Souris RIver Q17 for a 3 day BWCA trip.

I know I said the Q17, but again, the Boundary Waters from Wenonah is a copy of the Q17. The boat handled wonderfully even while paddling across Lake Vermillion through boat traffic and high wind and waves. If 3 days worth of BWCA gear and the weight of 4 people and a dog can cross those big waters without getting wet, I think you would be seaworthy loading it with as much as you can bring.

If you're truly concerned about bringing a large amount of gear then get a bigger boat. I think you'll be fine with either one, it just depends on how you feel in the seat.

Try both. Better to experience a couple days of mixed use and mixed weather. I used to lead canoe trips in bdub & quetico and found my impressions of boats have changed significantly in a day or two. Last time I paddled a Minnesota II was over 15 yrs ago and i would bet its changed a bit. I found it initially a fine boat but found it felt awkward in the wind paddling with my wife. Next trip in a Minnesota III and I never looked back, huge, fast, stable. But thats for long travel camping.

Get as much seat time with your paddle partners and gear loads as you can before spending the big $!

Just got back from a week on Knife with a Souris River Q17. It was great. We finally bought one a few years ago after renting.

One point that my buddy makes about the Minn 2 is that the legroom for the bow paddler seemed a little limited. His knees would hit the gunwales and get sore after a day or two. And there was not much room for a tackle box or anything.

So, if you haven't experienced each boat under actual usage conditions you might at least sit in one and see if the space works.

Either boat will handle pretty nasty water. We did Batchewung and Nym a few years ago in spring into the wind. We had a souris river and another guy had a mn 2. We both made it ok. A little scary in 50 something degree water and whitecaps out in the middle of the lake but it was ok.