• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wheelhouse owners, rv style or bucket toilet?

Walnut18

We have been looking at fish houses unsure of brand yet. We would like to use the house in the summer as a camper like I have read many others do. My wife likes the idea of having a shower and toilet to use during the summer, although where we camp would not have a water hook up. Couple questions for those with houses.

-For the rv editions how long do the fresh water and waste water tanks last before needing to empty or fill, would they last a weekend with 2 adults and 2 little kids?

-For those using a bucket toilet, what do you do with the bags of waste? I am sure some people bury them but that is not possible for us. Do you throw in the dumpster or what other options are there?

-Does having an rv edition become a pain in the winter time? Do you keep using the water somehow or winterize and now have no room for a bucket toilet?

We are just starting our search of houses and would probably be looking for a used house because of cost but kind of going back and forth on bathroom features. Any other information or tips on winter or summer use would be appreciated, thank you.

I own a 2011 8X16 Mille Lacs model without plumbing. In the winter while ice fishing we just throw the bags on the ice and let them freeze then put them in the garbage when we get home. In the summer months I don't use the bucket toilet although you could and just throw the bags in a dumpster but obviously you would want to do it right away because of the smell. When I'm camping in mine in the summer and have to pee I just lock the fish house door pull off a hole cover get on my knees and pee right into the grass under the fish house. Put the hole cover back on and that's all there is to it. I've even helped my wife pee in the hole by holding her hands while she squats over the hole. Not all women may be willing to do that though. I actually have my fish house for sale if your interested I'm going to upgrade to a 20 footer. Let me know if you want pictures.

Forgot to mention that without plumbing I haven't had a single mouse in my house. Without all the pipes and what not under the fish house which the rv editions have there is really no way a mouse can get in. I've been around campers with plumbing all my life and it's impossible to keep mice out of them. Just a little advantage the none rv editions have if it matters to you guys.

kibo, which is a river rafting thing. take an old metal ammo box with lid, cut wooden toilet seat down on each side so it will fit in the box. screw a 1x1 on each side of the bottom of the seat, this locks it to the box. put bag in box, put on lid, do business, take seat off, pull out bag seal up and lock it all up. works great, is small and quite portable. you can even make a stand for it so you don't have to sit all the way down on the ammo box.

Get the flushable style portable toilet for year round use...no problems with smell then. Use toilet, take home dump in sewer or down toilet. rinse with bleach and ready for the next trip. Use the deodorant packs each time though to control smell during extended stays. My wife and 2 little girls have no problem with it for 3-4 days at a time.

My house has a 16 gallons freshwater. Really good for 2 showers, dishes and toilet water. No matter how efficient the showering is still seem to run out by the third shower. My showerhead seems to pump out a lot of water. Took 5 day trip by my self ended up filling 2- 6 gallon jugs to fill my tanks to finish trip. The shower and toilet made the trip great. If I am at a place that I can get water I just bring a jug. If not I bring 2 7 gallon jugs as spares. My blackwater tank is only 6 gallons so the gals will fill it up pretty quick. With guys we can go outside for most potty breaks so the toilet would take a while to fill.

After all that my opinion would be get the toilet and shower as you may find a lot of uses for spring, summer , and fall time to use it and a flush toilet is nice. I have a small tote tank in case my tank fills while on a trip and an extra jug of water in case it is needed.