• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hey Eyeguy

Hawg

I'm a rookie at photography and don't want to get into it but I have an older Rebel XT and would like to get a zoom lens just for bird pictures and little stuff. My feeder is only about 10-15 feet from where I sit but the regular lens,EFS18-55, doesn't do well at all. Got a suggestion for a low cost lens? Do I need any kind of adaptor plate? I'll start watching the auction sites for a lens then. I really enjoy your pictures and sometimes would like help on ID's.

I shoot Nikon so Dan will probably have a good suggestion for you. Editing helps also to sharpen stuff up a bit. I just use the elements 11 program. pretty easy to use for basic editing and can do tons of stuff if a guy wants to learn a lot. good luck !

Hawg,

You don't need anything special to shoot a longer lens. Your camera can handle either a EFS or a EF lens. You might want a tripod if the lens gets a little heavy. Do a search for POTN and at the bottom is a good spot to find used equipment. I believe you have to sign up in order to see the want ads. The 75-300 is right around $200.00 and would be a good starter lens and used it would even be cheaper used.

Hawg, if you are in the metro area wander in to a National Camera Exchange. They have a good selection of used lenses. The one Jim mentioned would be a good starter lens. I found a number of used 75-300 lenses listed with IS or Image stabilization for anywhere from $220 on up to $350. Take a look at the top of the photography forum, there is a sticky there on the basics of DSLR's and some discussion on lens selection for beginners.

Eyeguy, I did buy that lens we talked about yesterday, then read some reviews that were not flattering but for what I'm using it for I'll be just fine. Thanks again for some basic insight. Maybe I can figure what these big sparrow things are when I get a picture posted.