• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Snow/Ice Tires

MBurke

I have a 1983 honda 200 three wheeler I plan on using for my ice machine this year..

Wondering about couple things. Is there a good tire to get for ice and snow ?

And.....do any of you run tire chains or ice screews on or in your tires ?

I have read good and bad about both. I like the idea of chains but some say if they come of or break the can do alot of damage. And they are rough riding

Some say ice screews are better traction but then you have all those holes in your tires.

One guy said: Ice Screews were for Ice racing and Chains for were for Ice Fishing

I don't plan on doing any summer time riding....just for ice fishing.

What do you guys think ?

Any suggestions

Thank,

Mike

I run chains on my stock tires because it was a lot cheaper than buying new aggressive tires and it's night and day difference what my machine will go through. I don't ever run any faster than 20-25mph though because the chains start to slap - that's probably the biggest downfall to good tires vs chains. I've still gotten stuck on the lake, but I have driven up to and around a lot of stuck trucks so I've been pretty happy with chains.

Sort of related question - do any of you use a different set of wheels/tires for winter/snow, and swap for in the summer for different?

Here is my situation - summer I use it basically for driving roads or logging trail, doing chores. Not much traction needed really, and I have stock tires that are getting down there, but not dead yet. But for snow and ice fishing (no plowing, just ice fishing pulling portables, etc.) I know they are going to stink this year. I don't put many miles on in a year, so was thinking about getting some taller tires (26 instead of 25) on new (used) rims and just using for winter.

Space and swapping wheels is not a problem for me, just wondering if it is worth it, or just run these tires down and get new ones and run one set. The roads I run a decent amount on are paved, so that is likely where most of my wear comes from. Thanks for advice. Would likely get the Kendas mentioned.

I have the bear claws on a old moto 4 two wheel drive. They have been on there for 5 years now and are not showing very much ware yet. The youngest boy rides it when we go trail riding and in the winter ice fishing. It does well in the snow. I have mud lite xtr's on my king quad and I HATE THEM! When it comes time to get new tires I will be getting some bear claws.