• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Decoy of the Month... September 2014

Neighbor_guy

Its a few days into September already and things are still feeling a little bit like summer. Surface temperature on the lake last week was 80deg. frown That's a long way from being able to cut a 2'x3.5' window in the ice. But it wont be too long now.

Goose do your thing please...

9B419C7B-BF71-4310-9C9B-A1ACA106B0E5.jpg

0524EE5D-2CB7-43B0-A03F-43422827E900.jpg

Its a little hard to read, but the word on the paper is "Clown".

So there it is, the challenge for this month is to make what you consider to be a "clown" decoy. The way I look at it that could go a couple different directions, you could make a clown fish decoy, you could consider it a painting challenge and give a normal decoy a clown paint pattern. Its all up to you.

Lets see what you got. Like always, participation in encouraged, and you never know, it may just be rewarded.

How does a floater work do they just bob around the top of your hole? Are they very effective?

Can't wait to see these clown fish I think I might actually try and carve one.

You put a line on them and a weight that rests on the lake bottom. I've never tried one but it would be interesting to hear from Jason about it.

I like to use clean pine or white cedar for my decoys. Be it 1x2 or 1x(x)". I also use 2x4 and 2x6 as well. The key is to find clean straight graining and a peice of wood that is clear of knots. Free salvaged wood is my favorite, but top grade from Menards is a good choice as well.

Your right MJ it has a line and weight and it just floats, the guy I made it for spear in the Great Lakes and like big live suckers but they tangle his fake decoy, so he sets the floater low in the water and runs a live above it so it can't tangle, he does well with floaters, but I researched floaters and they were popular years ago where spearing back water river areas with some current a normal decoy wouldn't swim right but a float would slowly bob back and forth in the current giving it a slight hands free action.

Knowing this is the spearing forum this question is a bit off for here. But It's open water season and we're talking clown patterns so I'll throw it out there.

What's your favorite open water go to color?

I have a couple big rapalas (floating and flat rap) in clown. They are usually great for pike and have lots of teeth marks to prove it. However this summer my most successful go to lure when all else fails has been a pike looking minnow crank that is a third of the size of the FL-18.

Well guys here is an update I've got most of the fins cut and slots cut need to make rear fins or do I even need them?

I also need to cut the lead hole and all that other stuff. I'm kind of nervous about adding the lead could you guys give me some tips on this ?

1efee69d632f891d6edb4a05c699129a.jpg

Poured lead today and epoxied in the fins.

ab71265aad69049b9b9db2472ba677c7.jpg

30e3d555664e1ad3997e8372acff169d.jpg

Had the cooler full of water for swim testing and it did well after some adjustments.

I had to remove some lead from the rear and drill a small hole in the chin to add a little up front . Now it swims nice and level and slowly downwards.

I think I am going to drill into the top fin to attach the line. I drilled cross holes in a few places to put dowel through to support the fins