Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  

Summer/Hiking Boots

Hey Derek-I have several friends including park rangers, guides and landscapers who swear by salomon boots, I haven't tried them yet but am happy with my vasques and redwings. Bermel's shoes in Randall Mn and Sierra trading post have some great deals on quality footwear.Good luck in your search!
redhooks

I have had a pair of Salomon boots that i loved, and i now have a pair of Ecco's that i really like so far. Both pair are waterproof and extremely light weight. Basically, whichever boot will fit your foot the best will work out great for you, as most of the main names have great quality. I usually go to sierra trading post to buy my boots, as they are much cheaper than most other places that i have found.

Here's another option.

You can spend a lot less on a good 9-inch hiking/hunting boot that's not waterproof but has excellent support and tread, and buy waterproof Gore-tex type socks made by several manufacturers (mine are Munsingwear).

That way, everything you wear can be waterproof.

Derek, my vote goes out to Vasgue Sundowners. I have been backpacking for some time now and have put several brands/styles of boots to the test and these are the most durable pair of boots I have come across. They are full grain leather which is naturally waterproof, and can withstand a tough beating. I have yet to complain about the comfort and support of these boots. The only downside is they are spendy. They run about $200 a pair but well worth the money spent!

------------------
Jimmy

Any Vasque boot is probably the best today.

ST--the Goretex Socks are great if you're not hiking with them any distance--you'll end up with some real blisters this way FYI...I have some real nice non-Goretex boots and I use the Goretex Socks in them, but I can't hike with them.

------------------
Chells

Redwings. I got a pair last summer and it is the first pair of boots that I have owned that made a full season of construction work. I think that they will make another full season. I working in mud, water, concrete, walk on rebar, asphalt they aren't waterproof but there are the most so comfortable I don't care. I am sure that redwing has some waterproof models it just happens that the pair I have isn't. I used to always get Cat boots now I only were them for dress no more working in them. As far as insulated gor tex I am sold on Rockeys also very comfortable. I have a pair of Cabela Quest model boots they are a 400 gram insulated pair of gor tex and they are great as well. I have had them for 5 falls and winters and they are just finally starting to wear out. With only 400 grams they are able to be worn in the summer with no problem and then for the fall and hunting they are awesome. In the real cold of the winter thought they just aren't enough.

Backpacker named the ASOLO FSN95GTX boots a "best buy" in their latest gear guide, and they also gave the boots an Editor's Choice Award.

They are a medium duty boot, Gore Tex lined, fairly light (2lb 12 oz) an excellent all around hiking boot and at $135 bucks at Galyan's or $150 at REI you can't beat that price for what you get....

I would recommend those if that is the type of boot you are looking for. Check out backpacker.com for a complete review of many products. Another location for gear reviews is outdoorreview.com

Good luck,

John B

Derek,

Just saw your post.......been out of town for a bit.

There are many good quality boots, some of them listed here.

My recommendation would be to go to Midwest Mountaineering on Cedar Ave. by the U. Get ahold of someone there who knows boots and tell them EXACTLY what you want to use the boot for. I have purchased boots at Red Wing, REI, Cabela's, EMS (east coast) and at Midwest Mountaineering...........out of all of them, Midwest Mountaineering has been the most truthful and knowledgeable about footwear. There prices are slightly higher than some of the other outlets, but they will tell you which brands will best fit you (they are all different in their widths, shank lengths, etc. and only some brands will actually fit you) and will tell you where to buy the boots if they don't carry them.

Just an FYI on something that I actually have experience doing......not often I can offer that to an FM'er staff! smile.gif

Good luck.