Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Summer/Hiking Boots

11 posts in this topic

I'm in the market for summer boots. I'm looking for a quality pair of 100% waterproof lightweight boots. I spent $125 on a pair of Danners and got a year out of them.

Thanks for any info.

------------------
MILLE LACS GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/
click here

Hey Derek-I have several friends including park rangers, guides and landscapers who swear by salomon boots, I haven't tried them yet but am happy with my vasques and redwings. Bermel's shoes in Randall Mn and Sierra trading post have some great deals on quality footwear.Good luck in your search!
redhooks

I have had a pair of Salomon boots that i loved, and i now have a pair of Ecco's that i really like so far. Both pair are waterproof and extremely light weight. Basically, whichever boot will fit your foot the best will work out great for you, as most of the main names have great quality. I usually go to sierra trading post to buy my boots, as they are much cheaper than most other places that i have found.

Here's another option.

You can spend a lot less on a good 9-inch hiking/hunting boot that's not waterproof but has excellent support and tread, and buy waterproof Gore-tex type socks made by several manufacturers (mine are Munsingwear).

That way, everything you wear can be waterproof.

Derek, my vote goes out to Vasgue Sundowners. I have been backpacking for some time now and have put several brands/styles of boots to the test and these are the most durable pair of boots I have come across. They are full grain leather which is naturally waterproof, and can withstand a tough beating. I have yet to complain about the comfort and support of these boots. The only downside is they are spendy. They run about $200 a pair but well worth the money spent!

------------------
Jimmy

Any Vasque boot is probably the best today.

ST--the Goretex Socks are great if you're not hiking with them any distance--you'll end up with some real blisters this way FYI...I have some real nice non-Goretex boots and I use the Goretex Socks in them, but I can't hike with them.

------------------
Chells

Redwings. I got a pair last summer and it is the first pair of boots that I have owned that made a full season of construction work. I think that they will make another full season. I working in mud, water, concrete, walk on rebar, asphalt they aren't waterproof but there are the most so comfortable I don't care. I am sure that redwing has some waterproof models it just happens that the pair I have isn't. I used to always get Cat boots now I only were them for dress no more working in them. As far as insulated gor tex I am sold on Rockeys also very comfortable. I have a pair of Cabela Quest model boots they are a 400 gram insulated pair of gor tex and they are great as well. I have had them for 5 falls and winters and they are just finally starting to wear out. With only 400 grams they are able to be worn in the summer with no problem and then for the fall and hunting they are awesome. In the real cold of the winter thought they just aren't enough.

Backpacker named the ASOLO FSN95GTX boots a "best buy" in their latest gear guide, and they also gave the boots an Editor's Choice Award.

They are a medium duty boot, Gore Tex lined, fairly light (2lb 12 oz) an excellent all around hiking boot and at $135 bucks at Galyan's or $150 at REI you can't beat that price for what you get....

I would recommend those if that is the type of boot you are looking for. Check out backpacker.com for a complete review of many products. Another location for gear reviews is outdoorreview.com

Good luck,

John B

Derek,

Just saw your post.......been out of town for a bit.

There are many good quality boots, some of them listed here.

My recommendation would be to go to Midwest Mountaineering on Cedar Ave. by the U. Get ahold of someone there who knows boots and tell them EXACTLY what you want to use the boot for. I have purchased boots at Red Wing, REI, Cabela's, EMS (east coast) and at Midwest Mountaineering...........out of all of them, Midwest Mountaineering has been the most truthful and knowledgeable about footwear. There prices are slightly higher than some of the other outlets, but they will tell you which brands will best fit you (they are all different in their widths, shank lengths, etc. and only some brands will actually fit you) and will tell you where to buy the boots if they don't carry them.

Just an FYI on something that I actually have experience doing......not often I can offer that to an FM'er staff! smile.gif

Good luck.

Chells, thanks for the info. Didn't know that about them being bad for distances. Come to think of it, a person's foot does slip around inside them a bit.