Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Summer/Hiking Boots

11 posts in this topic

I'm in the market for summer boots. I'm looking for a quality pair of 100% waterproof lightweight boots. I spent $125 on a pair of Danners and got a year out of them.

Thanks for any info.

------------------
MILLE LACS GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/
click here

Hey Derek-I have several friends including park rangers, guides and landscapers who swear by salomon boots, I haven't tried them yet but am happy with my vasques and redwings. Bermel's shoes in Randall Mn and Sierra trading post have some great deals on quality footwear.Good luck in your search!
redhooks

I have had a pair of Salomon boots that i loved, and i now have a pair of Ecco's that i really like so far. Both pair are waterproof and extremely light weight. Basically, whichever boot will fit your foot the best will work out great for you, as most of the main names have great quality. I usually go to sierra trading post to buy my boots, as they are much cheaper than most other places that i have found.

Here's another option.

You can spend a lot less on a good 9-inch hiking/hunting boot that's not waterproof but has excellent support and tread, and buy waterproof Gore-tex type socks made by several manufacturers (mine are Munsingwear).

That way, everything you wear can be waterproof.

Derek, my vote goes out to Vasgue Sundowners. I have been backpacking for some time now and have put several brands/styles of boots to the test and these are the most durable pair of boots I have come across. They are full grain leather which is naturally waterproof, and can withstand a tough beating. I have yet to complain about the comfort and support of these boots. The only downside is they are spendy. They run about $200 a pair but well worth the money spent!

------------------
Jimmy

Any Vasque boot is probably the best today.

ST--the Goretex Socks are great if you're not hiking with them any distance--you'll end up with some real blisters this way FYI...I have some real nice non-Goretex boots and I use the Goretex Socks in them, but I can't hike with them.

------------------
Chells

Redwings. I got a pair last summer and it is the first pair of boots that I have owned that made a full season of construction work. I think that they will make another full season. I working in mud, water, concrete, walk on rebar, asphalt they aren't waterproof but there are the most so comfortable I don't care. I am sure that redwing has some waterproof models it just happens that the pair I have isn't. I used to always get Cat boots now I only were them for dress no more working in them. As far as insulated gor tex I am sold on Rockeys also very comfortable. I have a pair of Cabela Quest model boots they are a 400 gram insulated pair of gor tex and they are great as well. I have had them for 5 falls and winters and they are just finally starting to wear out. With only 400 grams they are able to be worn in the summer with no problem and then for the fall and hunting they are awesome. In the real cold of the winter thought they just aren't enough.

Backpacker named the ASOLO FSN95GTX boots a "best buy" in their latest gear guide, and they also gave the boots an Editor's Choice Award.

They are a medium duty boot, Gore Tex lined, fairly light (2lb 12 oz) an excellent all around hiking boot and at $135 bucks at Galyan's or $150 at REI you can't beat that price for what you get....

I would recommend those if that is the type of boot you are looking for. Check out backpacker.com for a complete review of many products. Another location for gear reviews is outdoorreview.com

Good luck,

John B

Derek,

Just saw your post.......been out of town for a bit.

There are many good quality boots, some of them listed here.

My recommendation would be to go to Midwest Mountaineering on Cedar Ave. by the U. Get ahold of someone there who knows boots and tell them EXACTLY what you want to use the boot for. I have purchased boots at Red Wing, REI, Cabela's, EMS (east coast) and at Midwest Mountaineering...........out of all of them, Midwest Mountaineering has been the most truthful and knowledgeable about footwear. There prices are slightly higher than some of the other outlets, but they will tell you which brands will best fit you (they are all different in their widths, shank lengths, etc. and only some brands will actually fit you) and will tell you where to buy the boots if they don't carry them.

Just an FYI on something that I actually have experience doing......not often I can offer that to an FM'er staff! smile.gif

Good luck.

Chells, thanks for the info. Didn't know that about them being bad for distances. Come to think of it, a person's foot does slip around inside them a bit.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

•     I believe you said it was "libertarian" drivel, actually, so you dismissed it out of hand...          
    •   You posted about neither.     But if you would read the article, my commentary and TJ's commentary you would know that's not really what the article is about.     You have to be kidding, right? Just about everyone who has an opinion on politics at all is this sort of person. Do you look at social media at all?
    •     Ok, now getting back to whether Trump will win the War on Drugs, do you think he will take any steps at all to decriminalize drugs, such as reclassifying marijuana, and recognizing state laws and programs designed to move towards the decriminalization of drugs?   Or do you think he will take steps to protect vested interests, such as prisons and the pharmaceutical. industry?   Just going off his rhetoric and his choice for a drug czar, I'm guessing he much prefers the latter, and will end up spending a bunch of taxpayer's money, and actually lose ground by continuing on with the brute force/criminalization approach.        
    • Because at the time, I don't have anything better to do.   I posted about the article, and you wanted to talk about the topic.  I posted about the topic and you want to discuss the article.    Which is it?     I support a particular candidate because their positions, taken as a whole, are preferable to me as compared to the other candidate(s).   In a few years I get to do it over.     I don't think there are really that many ardent "rah rah for my party" type folks out there, in spite of what we see on TV, or the occasional people we meet.     So the article is basically drivel, as I said before, based on a false premise.   
    • Borch I just signed up Ryan, Morgan, and me but I only see my name listed in the summary. Do my kids not show up because they don't have hso usernames?  Or did I not enter it right?     Please let me know how to fix it and I'll do so.  Thanks!
    •   Because I think self reflection is good for all of us from time to time.   If you don't wan't to discuss this article, why do you persist in posting here?           No one is disputing that at all. The premise of the author's article is in regards to the hypocrisy of then justifying everything your chosen candidate or party does blindly while vilifying the other candidates or party. It's the "all in" sports like mentality that is being discussed here.  
    • There is a really excellent book called "The Righteous Mind" that approaches this tribalist mindset from an evolutionary psychology standpoint. The author, Jonathan Haidt, does a remarkable job of unpacking why people persist in truly irrational defense of the indefensible - when it's their team doing the stupid stuff. I highly highly highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in lessening the hyperpartisan idiocy we have today.

The trouble is that the closed-off mindset that lends itself to reflexive support for Obama/Hillary/Trump/whomever also tends to preclude any serious engagement in self-examination that the book is designed to provoke. Really good read, though.
    •   I get what your saying here but I think what Dave is talking about is the willingness of some to blindly follow, without question, their party or candidate. I saw this first hand during the primary with some of my own relatives, for example. I had a SIL who was a huge Bernie backer. The things she said about Hillary were worse than anything said here. As far as she was concerned, Hillary should be tarred and feathered and ran out on a rail. Then Bernie loses the nomination. She then became Hillary's biggest defender. Everything she said about her during the primary was instantly washed away. Even her own husband called her out. She wasn't simply voting for her because she found Trump worse. That's understandable. She defended or at least tried to deflect the issues with Hillary when just a few months prior, she said things that would make even Cooter or Bill say, "man you're harsh on her."   I don't think this is a new phenomenon. I also don't think it's widespread. Like everything else, access to more and diverse information just makes it possible to hear more about it than before. I think human nature causes people to internalize candidates and/.or elected officials. It's a "if you're critical of my candidate, you're critical of me," kind of thinking.   I don't fault anyone for voting for a candidate that one feels best represents their line of thinking. Or even defending their candidate from detractors. I don't think that is what Dave is talking about here. It's also the flipping of political opinions just because the candidate you voted for or support is supporting certain positions. For example, many conservatives opposed BHO's stimulus, including myself. It didn't work  as promised and we just added more on to the debt. So on the campaign trail, Trump also spoke of a stimulus plan that was even more expensive than BHO's and  those same people not only supported it but are justifying it. In summary, one can vote for a candidate without defending everything that person does        
    •  Come on.   The world, life is a bit more complicated then that.          Quit passing the blame. Your whole thesis is on choice and owning it.   Let me guess, you hate big banking also since they made it easy to refinance and purchase.   It just proves that general society is incapable of making the right decisions as a whole.   Sorry, you go down with the ship.    
  • Our Sponsors