• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Salsa

You can't just throw that picture out there without adding the recipe you used!!!!! smile

Actually looking for a different salsa recipe, my wife makes salsa, its good, but too runny. Would like to show her how its done!!!

Kind of bummed though, planted about 12 tomato plants this spring, not getting lots of tomatoes for canning, plenty to eat, but not the five gallon buckets full like I'm used to, I blame it on the cool summer...

this batch

15 pounds tomatoes

6 cup green pepper

6 cup onion

3 cup celery

8 jalapenos

7 clove garlic

1 T chili powder

1 T cumin

1 T oregano

2 T salt

2 T cayenne powder

4 T brown sugar

4 12 oz can tomato paste

I put the tomatoes in blender and zap them

Cut up vegies, dice the garlic.

Saute all the vegies and then add to the cooking tomatoes

cook about an hour then can.

probably about 4 on a 1 to 10 heat scale.

a little runny but just like I like it. cook a little longer to make a bit thicker.

I notice you don't use any vinegar in that recipe is it safe to use a water bath with the peppers? How long in the water bath?

same thing for 30 years so it's safe. smile bring to a boil, turn off, let sit overnight.

Il have to give you some of my wife's salsa verde she cooks up. She uses tomatillos in it.

Had the family over for a week from out of state recently and they didn't leave one drop for us when they left.

She tells me to tell you she's got another batch coming and sending some your way on Sunday.

As I'm writing this shes looking over my shoulder,checking my spelling.

We need to have a salsa eating contest EG. smile

Not whose is better.... Lets just EAT!!!

I got a text from jetman yesterday..... somehow a jar of my extra hot salsa made its way to International Falls..... And I was texted this... "Your salsa sucks!"

Actually looking for a different salsa recipe, my wife makes salsa, its good, but too runny. Would like to show her how its done!!!

Same here. However a few years ago my missus changed things up a bit and the results are pretty darn wonderful.

When she's cooking everything in the big pot she scoops out a bunch of the juice on top and sets aside. Come canning time the salsa is good and chunky and she cans that. Then, takes all the scooped out juice and boils that down a bit and cans that seperately. IT"S FREAKING WONDERFUL BLOODY MARY MIX!!!!!! It's also a nice and kind of spicy pepper sauce for cooking other stuff.

Somebody else recommended that too, take a colander and stick it in the top of the cooked salsa, dip off some of that juice. I don't do Bloody Mary's but I'll bet that juice would be good in other cooked dishes like a hot dish.

When I can salsa I use a slotted spoon to load it in the jars. When I get down to a thin soupy mixture, I just can that and use it as a soup base. Or poach some fish in it and serve over rice. Or add it to a meat sauce for over pasta... grin