• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fenwick Eagle GT vs. Fenwick HMG

LPCrowRiverFisherman

I am looking to get another spinning rod for casting light jigs for walleye. I have a 6'6" ML Eagle GT and I like it for this application but it is a little light when hooking up with larger walleye and accidental carp. I was wondering if the 6'9" ML HMG had a slightly stiffer tip?

The reason I had to ask is because the MH Eagle GT Casting rods actually seem stiffer than the MH HMG Casting rods. I really love my HMG casting rod. I was hoping to hear that the HMG was a little stiffer in the spinning series. I know the quality of the HMG is better. I will wait for a few more responses before I pull the trigger.

I can't speak for the 6'9" ML HMG, but I own a 6'6" M HMG which is about 8yo and is still my favorite walleye rod over my 6'3" M EliteTech and 6'6" M STC Premier. I run 8lb test with it and usually use jigs 1/16-1/8th oz range and sometimes up to 1/4oz.

Put a couple 1/4oz weights on a couple pieces of line with paper clips on the ends. Bring them to a store and check to see how the two rods bend. My guess is that the HMG will bend closer to the tip (faster) and the GT will bend further up the blank (slower). If there is a difference in total deflection, that is the difference in the rod's power.

That's the issue, going to the store. That would make my decision real easy, but I am 2.5-3 hours away from anywhere that would for sure have the HMGs in stock. I'm in the middle of nowhere at the moment waiting to return to the homeland (MN). Hopefully before November.