• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

hardware for a strikemaster extension

redhooks

Question

I feel goofy asking but I have an 18" extension that I bought with my 10" lazer XL3000 about 5 years ago. I've never put it on the auger but now that it looks like I'll need it to go to Red this weekend, I'm not sure what size/type bolt/nut I'll need to mount it? does it need to be an allen head like the one that holds the head to the auger?-appreciate any help!
redhooks

5 answers to this question

Hey bud they need a metric bolt. Its an M8 about 1.5" to 1.75" but the lenght will be metric. I can make sweet extensions out of solid stainless steel made to custom lenghts. let me know if yer interested. BTW you can get the bolts at most Hardware Hank's/Ace. Get the stainles ones.

[This message has been edited by aarongramenz (edited 02-21-2003).]

Thanks for the info-It didn't come w/ an extra or I lost it over the years but I just emailed Strikemaster w/ this question as well and am waiting for a reply.
AaronGramenz sounds like your gonna be busy making extensions if winter keeps up like this, and I know there are several people looking for extensions because most stores are sold out!!! Good luck and tight lines!
redhooks

The extension's top, the female end that accepts the male end of the powerhead, requires a metric bolt to fasten correctly. You can go a size smaller and simply stick it through and put a nut on the bolt, but that will ruin the original threads as you use the auger.

The threads are there for a reason, so you can bind the power shaft to the extension more solidly.

I had the factory allen-wrench bolt from Strikemaster with the extension but lost it. When it came time to use the extension on my XL3000, I took it to the hardware store and ran through a bunch of bolts to find the right one. Only one that would thread on was metric. I don't remember the size, but you can easily bring your extension to the store and experiment like I did.

I bought two bolts, one for a spare. Once I had the bolt threaded through, I also put on TWO nuts, the first screwed on until it locked tight against the extension, the second tightened down against the first to further lock it on.

Even if you get the factory replacement bolt from Strikemaster, it's a good idea to get a second one or the right size hardware store bolt as backup.

------------------
"I still miss my ex-wives, but my aim is getting better!"
Steve Foss
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 02-21-2003).]