• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Homer Camping

I'm considering a bit of a last minute suicide run to Homer and Kenai Peninsula Aug 1-4 for a Halibut Charter or two and what should be tail end of Kenai Sockeye. Any intel on camping on the spit or is everything going to be full?

Thanks,

Mark

Pretty hard to say, I'd get on the phone asap. Who did you find for halibut charters on short notice? Usually we try to book way in advance to get on a good boat. Sounds like the reds are doing a slow extended run, so maybe there will be a decent amount of late fish.

camping wont be a problem. lots of areas to camp and that is near the endish of the tourist season. As for a boat traveler is on point. Try and call as quick as you can. Driftwood charters are top notch but they may not have anything open on short notice. One thing I advise you not to do is use any sort of coupon or groupon. If a boat needs to throw out coupons or groupons they probably arent that good and are trying to fill their boat. If the reds are still around which they maybe since it has been a later run for the "Big Push" You may have a chance at those. I would definitely fish upper river towards the russian river though.

Thanks! I'm on final approach with my wife who could yet kbosh. Yep, Traveler and FK, would normally book in advance if possible, but a good captain is avail, redeemable airline miles, and most importantly the rental car rates came down from sold out and $260/day down to $100/day.

If I had more time I'd try Fish Creek as well or Seward Silvers, but if the Kenai's still cranking why bother. They may even have a 6 fish limit by then. Any other intel on fish freezing around Soldotna? I recall using a place to freeze/box that went pretty well but I can't remember the name.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't able to get a rental car at a decent rate and an attempt to get a ride to Homer isn't working out. Traveler, there was an opening with Brooks Alaskan Adventures and another one with North Country charters the following day. I was pretty happy that both of those were still available for long range trips. Looks like I'll have to convince some family or friends to go next time to defer some of the getting there cost.