• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking for a left hand retrieve baitcasting reel...

Question

Hi Rob

What I'm trying to track down is a left hand retreive baitcaster with a flipping switch. I've been to a couple different shops and nobody has been able to come up with a suggestion. I've browsed Cabelas' shop on-line and I didn't spot one there either. Any ideas?
I thank you in advance for any information you might be able to find me.

Take care.
James

7 answers to this question

I too am a lefty. I've been using a quantum ps 401 cx for a couple years with no problems. The only place I've seen it is in bass pro catalogs. It fits my hand nise and has continuous anti reverse , flippin switch and a thumb bar. Oh yea , by the way rumor has it that abu garcia is going to make an add on line counter for the 5500 and 5501 series baitcasters , its about time!!! Paul

------------------

Pine to Prairie Guide Service
Serving west central Minnesota.
Paul Rohweller (218)962-3387
[email protected]

Thanks a ton! I'm not a lefty by nature. I forced myself to learn to crank left because I found I got better hooksets with the rod in my right hand and who wants to swap the rod from right-to-left after each cast anyway. To make along story short I learned to do it from the left side and now I can't stand to go back. I'll be giving BPS a buzz tomorrow to get a couple...any idea what these babies run $$$?

Thanks again.
James
www.movingwaters.net

If I guess right you want the flipping feature to drop line while trolling?

For $50.00 Bass Pro has a special on Shakespeare Ugly Stick Combo's and you can pick up a 7' MH rod with the SKP2500 lefty to run cranks or bouncers.

The SKP2500 has the bait clicker and line out system. For the $$ it is a great deal, and can pull double duty as a cat or gator rod. I do like the 7'MH Ugly Stik for cranks on fire line, just enough flex to keep from pulling the hooks free and good feel. They are dam near unbreakable, but if you do, send it back and you get another one, good deal all around!

Backwater......

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 06-22-2000).]

Thanks for tossing out another models to check out. These reels will be used to fish wingdams. Heavy-weight jigs on the face from a boat held motionless upstream with a kicker. The flippin switch lets me adjust the amount of lne out with one hand while I drive with the other. Walleyes love big jigs and mongo sized tails worked on the face of a wingdam! Chomp!

Thanks Eddy.
James

James have you ever set a classic floating Rapala/ or jointed on a rubbercore wt about 4-6ft above the wt, on the push side of these dams and let it lay? A do nothing method, but on occasion lift it and let it fall back into the face of the fish and wiggle. They can't stare at it very long! works well when fish are holding tight to wings and are fussy. Works well on the head of smalle mid river holes in large flats too.

You may already use this but it popped into my head when you talked wings.

Backwater....

Hey Eddy!

Well.... let's just say that those heavy jigs sit about 8 inches below a 3-way swivel. I run spinners, plain snells/bait, and stickbaits off of this set-up and you're right, they can't stare at 'em long! I've not tried the rubber-core angle though. Same principle, different hardware. I would think it would work real well.
How bad did all the rain in the Dakotas hurt your river conditions. We didn't get soaked like you did and the river's a mess from about Lacrosse south with more heavy rain in the forecast.
James

From Wahpeton to Fargo -ok, from Fargo north, not ok. That rain was really something! I was in Fargo when it hit, never seen so much hard rain last so long! The Red was over flood stage in a few hours. Be a while before that go's down!

I have been playing on the Otter Tail river instead, been good, not great. Practicing my shallow water trolling and playing with the pecker cats. Did well tonight, had a blast and didn't wreck anything!

On the 3-way drop rig I like useing thin fins or the balsa Bagley's to play search and go find on the river. Cover ground and change depths quickly with this rig, I have had a few great nights on them!

Latter...bed time for Eddy......