• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking for a Canada resort near Fort Frances

I am looking for a resort that is near Fort Frances and have good walleye fishing. I have found a few on Lake Despair and Off lake.

Price is a factor and good rental boats would be a bonus. It would be for 8-9 adults and 1 Child 11 years old.

I like the Lake Despair area, but am willing to try other lakes on that chain of lakes.

Thanks!!

Since you said price is a factor, I'm going to go ahead and recommend Amik Lodge. I've never stayed there, but my native neighbor works here and says they are always booked, probably because of the extremely low rates. It is a native owned and operated lodge - Amik means beaver in Ojibway.

Click Here for Amik Lodge

They have rental boats and motors and guide service available. You'd be fishing the Northwest arm of Rainy Lake. You'll be hard pressed to find anything less expensive than Amik Lodge in the area. Amik Lodge is 20 minutes west of Fort Frances on highway 11, then another 25 minutes north on the 613 road to the lodge.

Next up you could stay at Gateway North Outfitters.

Gateway North Outfitters

They have outpost cabins or if you're bring your own boats you could stay at their Off Lake location and simply launch your boat on Clearwater each day. Once on Clearwater, you have access to the entire Clearwater / Pipestone chain of lakes which of course includes Lake Despair. If you don't have boats then staying at their outpost cabin on Pipestone might work for you, but I don't know if it would handle a group your size. Check with them on the details.

Hope this helps.

You could also check out these two places at Bears Pass on Rainy lake. Both are 25 miles east of Ft Francis on 11.

The Fisheries and Coppens resorts.

I have only camped at the Fisheries once, but have fished from a friends cabin nearby several times. The ares has very good walleye and bass fishing with access to Swell, Seine and Redgut bays.

Hideaway Lodge on Clearwater would be a great choice. Been going there for 12 years. Doug and Kathy are awesome hosts. Great fishing, cabins, and a central location on clearwater/pipestone chain.

Good evening Cold Water.

If you want to stay in the Lake Despair area here is a place that may work. jackfishoutpost.com It's on Jackfish but may not be big enough for your whole crew but give it a look. If not try LaBelles in Northwest Bay on Rainy Lake.

I'm partial to Rainy. Taylors Cove at Bear Pass and the Fisheries are excellent resorts and dead center in some great walleye fishing.

Xplorer - FYI - The Fisheries closed down their campground several years ago as did Taylors Cove. The only resort offering drive to camping is The Landings which is further up on Red Gut Bay. Otherwise there are a few island campsites around the Swell Bay and Red Gut Bay area. If I were to camp on the lake my choice would be the US side.