• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1 rod rule bypass

HandGunner

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you think about it, if there is a fishing limit than why should it matter how many rods you use to get that limit? confused

For me, on open water I can only concentrate on one rod at a time. Ice fishing is a little different matter since your just sitting there watching rods with a beer in your hand! wink

If you think about it, if there is a fishing limit than why should it matter how many rods you use to get that limit? confused

DNR loves to use "SUccess Rates" in combination with their limits to manage lakes.

Deer is a good example. EVERYONE get's a tag - but you know what would happen if EVERYONE got a deer. They alter deer zones from lottery to intensive to achieve a harvest quantity and hunter success is part of that equation; add in APR and hunter success is reduced, limits can go up.

My vote is for unlimited attended lines, and reduced limits.

I agree to an extent with FshBloodRiverMud. Limits are in place for "best case" scenarios. If we went to multiple lines, catch rates and harvest pressure would increase (if not, nobody would be calling for 2 or more lines). A more likely scenario than someone catching their limit with 2 lines would be they get 2-3 fish instead of 0-1. We would need to reduce limits to account for the times the fishing is hot.

However, I prefer the current one-line rule. Maybe I'm just olde fashioned.

Unlimited rods is hilarious!! You imagine shore fishing with that implemented, one guy could take up an entire area. One rod is good, just learn how to use it better.

Think outside of the traditional walleye box.

When allowed multiple lines, i use them to diversify.

Absolutely someone could put out 20 poles. But i bet they don't do that more than once or twice and they'll spend more time cutting line and untangling than fishng. Soon they'll realize it's more efficient to run 1-4 lines depending on what and how they are fishing.

And no, i can't imagine shore fishing...What's shore fishing? smirk

Most of the ol fashioned guys who are fine with the rule are guys who are backtrolling lindy rigs or casting an artificial towards the shoreline or rockpile (which ironically I was doing last night). People who are not ok with it should spend a couple weeks fishing from shore, or bottom fishing from a boat for things such as catfish, sturgeon, or carp and understand how a second line would make the experience more enjoyable, especially when fishing alone. I know, I know, that’s blasphemy to most of you since the word walleye wasn’t mentioned anywhere in there, but that’s the way things are here in MN and I get that.

I can assure you though, that its just as easy to get skunked with 3 lines (WI side of the Croix) as it is with 1.

Does it increase pressure? Absolutely it does, if there wasn’t a chance to catch more fish (which is what makes it more fun) then nobody would ever want to do it. But the big question is how much it would affect fishing quality? Maybe we should ask our neighbors to the West and East. Lots of people flocking to Devils Lake right now aren’t there?

I’m convinced we will never see multiple lines in MN. We were very close a few years ago, a simple veto away, and I don’t see it happening again after that. Good luck banging the DNR and Legislative drum. It will likely get you nothing but a headache.

Everyone still has the option to speed on the interstate though, and in the grand scheme of things in the scenario when fish are being caught and released, I would argue that speeding might actually be a worse ethical decision.

We can go round and round on the oddities MN's fishing regulations - or any state's for that matter I would imagine. But what may enhance the experience of fisherman for certain species could conceivably hurt the population of other species. As it stands, nobody is prevented from going after the fish of their choice, just not with as much unadulterated fun as they would like.

MN sells a fair share of non-resident licenses itself, even with our restrictive regs:

2012 Stats

Nonresident individual angling: 60,050

Nonresident family angling: 29,990

Nonresident 14-day couple angling: 21,189

Nonresident 7-day angling: 70,886

Nonresident 72-hour angling 41,904

Don't know, doesn't say. But I highly doubt many people travel out of state specifically due to the number of lines they can fish with (unless living near a border). Seems to reason the quality of the fishing and/or available species to fish for play a much larger role.

Plus, our winter regs allow for less lines that our neighboring states too. wink

It's not that I can't understand why guys would want to fish with multiple lines. Its just that the enjoyment you may get doesn't over rule the negative impact it could have on fish that are more regularly harvested.

Its just that the enjoyment you may get doesn't over rule the negative impact it could have on fish that are more regularly harvested.

Which is opinion based I assume? I respect that I just don't agree with it.

There are some small scale studies out there, but nothing really in depth clearly concluding that multiple lines will impact negatively on the quality of fishing.

Which is opinion based I assume? I respect that I just don't agree with it.

There are some small scale studies out there, but nothing really in depth clearly concluding that multiple lines will impact negatively on the quality of fishing.

Sure, that's all we're slinging here is opinions right? When you wrote, ".. a second line would make the experience more enjoyable, especially when fishing alone" is that opinion based or can you point me to some research?

With all due respect, in some situations I think common sense can be applied. If I had to put money down on whether I would catch more fish over the course of the open water season if I was fishing one line or two lines, it would be pretty obvious which scenario to bet on. For fish that don't get eaten as much, I agree it probably wouldn't have much impact. But it seems logical more walleyes, crappies, sunnies, perch and pike would wind up in the frying pan.

Make it 1 line ice fishing and two lines open water.

IMO, there's way more people fishing in the winter and way more fish in a bucket than in the summer.

I keep track of my all my fishing. I was over 1000 fish caught by end of may. Took a limit of perch, crappies, and sunfish and gave them to my family. I've personally kept two trout to eat this year.

Not everyone who fishes is looking to fill the bucket.

I thaugt it be nice to toss a line of bait for cats and whatnot then be able to set it down and fish a lure. Plus I been getting into bottom feeder fishing so I been trying different baits as in leeches worms and homemade junk. It be nice to have 2 lines to use 2 difderent baits at once. So inland waters is a no no but what about south dakota border and wisconsin border? Do I have to be on one or he other side?

Bring a friend with some kids :-)

I loved fishing Big Stone this spring. At certain times it is just nice to have 2 lines out per person. Bobbers, planer boards or just plain Trollin'

Our Reps and Senators would rather spend time talking about renaming Asian Carp than doing anything worth something.

I wonder what would happen if they changed the rule to allow two lines, IF you purchase two licenses???

I'm an avid angler, and I have ZERO interest in fishing two lines. I wouldn't buy a second license for a second line. I'm guessing a lot of other guys feel the same way.

Obviously this isn't under consideration by anyone in government. But at first glance, it seems like it might be a solution for guys who just have to have that second line in order to be fulfilled.