Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

aqua-vu?

18 posts in this topic

I am thinking about perchasing an aqua-vu. i was wondering if anyone would give me some feedback on the camera. do you like it or not? would appreciate anything.

Thanks.

Shoof. It all depends what Auqa View you are talking about. Can you be more specific!

sj

Great units, shoot for the Aqua-Vu SV, you will appreciate the compass feature.

Shoof,

I got the model with the Infared, no compass and I love it.

Eddy's right, if money isn't an issue knowing which direction the camera is pointing is a bonus.

I just didn't see the use of it until I got on the ice. Unless you have dropped a separate marker down an adjacent hole and know which diretion the hole is, e.g. North, West, South you'll have to rely on a handheld GPS to provide you with a proper bearing.

I've turned on the infared before dark and it's no help, FYI, too much light and it reflects back into the lens.

Also, be sure you disconnect the spade connector to the Battery while in transit--these units have a tendancy to turn on while in transit and when you get to the Lake it'll be out of battery power.

I can't wait to use my camera on my Lake this open water season. It's 60ft. deep and has 33' water clarity--the Walleyes hide somewhere during the day and I need to find their daytime resting spots so I can be close when they start their nightly ritual!

------------------
Chells

Whats a good price for an Aqua-Vu with infrared and the compass?

Would you ever consider buying an Aqua-Vu before a Vex?

G-Man,

The top-of-the-line AquaVu retails for $499.00 I believe. They may be on sale right now. I have a tendency to go to Reed's in Walker first for all of these items.

As far as getting a camera in lieu of a Vex Flasher, that's easy--get the Vex before the camera grin.gif

------------------
Chells

While you are checking out camera's make sure you check out the OVS 500 before you drop all that money. I have been running the OVS 500 and it has been a great addition to my fishing arsenal.

If you like to fish stationary the OVS offers electric cable stearing system so you can turn your camera with unbelievable accuracy. I think you will be very impressed with the unit as a whole.

SmellyJelly I am looking at the mc2x60. I heard the multicolor lights were better than the infared lights. Is this true?

i have the mcx2 60 and I will tell ya staight up its a good unit and the lights do work better then the infared but almost every camera at this point in time is useless at night unless your in a swimming pool thats my opinion

Shoof, Fishing with a camera is great. You can check so many things fairly quick(bottom, weedlines, fish,etc.)If you go with a Aqua-vu buy the downward looking accessory. The tri-pod accessory is nice to use too.

I agree with Scott. The OVS 500 will give you all three lighting options. The Aqua Vu will give you 2 of the 3, but not all three on any one model. I have rented one on Mille Lacs. It's a nice unit.

You can't go wrong with an Aqua-Vu SV or the new DT-Series systems.

SWEET!

Depth-Tech is available with the new-for 2003 Aqua-Vu DT-Series, which also includes on-screen directional and temperature displays.

Depth-Tech on-screen display of camera depth. Very Kewl!
DTseries.gif
Direct-Tech on-screen camera direction indicator display. My favorite feature by far! On the SV and DT series camera systems.

Temp-Tech on-screen water temperature display. A handy deal, all year long.

Available with 60- or 120-foot cable.
Eleven Multi-Color lights with on/off. Kewl! colorlights.gif

Includes battery charger.
Ballast weights.
Front-viewing fin.
Carrying case.
Built-in video-out jack. (KEWL)
Weather-proof monitor, 420-line resolution.
Encapsulated impact-resistant camera.
Removable sunshield.
comp580kit.gif

A Great systems!

Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

backwtr1@msn.com

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 02-21-2003).]

Ed, do you have any problems with the cables breaking off where they connect? They seem to sit out there unprotected. I have heard numerous complaints about that and that is why I steared away from the Aqua Vu. Just wondering if that has been an issue for you?

The IR spectrum is the most noticeable to a walleye, or any other fish/critter with reflective eye lenses. I am not sure I agree it spooks anything any less?

For the most part, I do not feel that light, of any kind, is the most usable feature an underwater camera system may offer the user.

But again, thats just me, maybe?

I first bought an Aqua Vu Jr. which broke 35 days after purchase at the Mpls Sport Show. I sent it back and had 3 other AV Jrs sent to me. All had either bad cables, or the screen was at an angle(the camers was crooked in the housing.) I then was sent 2 of the Z-60 series cameras. They are NOT waterproof. After many conversations and about $50 in postage I was sent an old large style camera housing with the old camera. That unit has worked well for about a year or so. The multi-color lights and the IR is overrated. I have used both and once twilight hits, you might as well pull the thing out of the water.

Backwater Eddie, that's a nice unit. I don't want to put down the DT or SV cameras, but they don't come with IR lighting. The fish can see the multi-colored lights and from what I've heard they can spook the fish, especially Walleyes. It's too bad they don't offer the Multi-colored lights, IR, and no light options on the same unit. Like the OVS-500. That way you have all of the options.

Thanks. I thought the IR was invisible to all creatures. I guess you learn something everyday.

Scott I have had no problem with the cable on the SV-60.

With the river weight system I use, I should find out by the end of the ice season if I will.

Some of the other guides over this way have not mentioned to me cable problems as a big issue.

Some folks are just tougher on stuff too Eh. Bashing the camera on the ice below the hole, bouncing the camera like a Yo-Yo.

Just like transducers, some folks seam to eat them, ya know what I mean?

wink.gif