• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tipping the Guide

Assuming an enjoyable outing, how much do you normally Tip the Guide?

I am thinking a $30 tip per guy for a fly-in and $20 per guy for Halibut and Salmon trips.

Am I on target ?

Thanks

It is pretty good courtesy to tip along these lines: 10% for a no fish trip, 20% for an awesome trip with lots caught, hand it to the captain unless you feel otherwise about it, a captain and crew should have their system worked out on their own. 15% is a solid happy number.

Most Halibut trips I've done have been 4-person trips. If the cost of the trip was $800, you're on the low end of the tipping scale but not terribly off target.

I treat it the same way as any service industry. If it was good service and they tried to get you fish I will go 15-20%. If they sit in one spot all trip hoping for the fish to start biting then they might not get anything. All of the butt trips I have been on have been 6 pack boats so it's just the captain and it is up to him to find the fish, or at least try.

if its a fly in and its just you and the guide i would tip a little more because you will learn alot more from a one on one experience then just another daily halibut trip out to bounce 5 ounces of lead in 200 ft of water

20$ for a guy or gal who just rowed/worked his but off for you on the river for six hours is a pretty poor tip IMO, unless the guide was unpleasant. It's hard work doing what we do. Tip what you would tip a waiter or waitress for good service, 15-20 percent. So 30/40 seems better. Don't tip poorly because you failed to catch fish, unless the guide didn't even try. Salmon fishing is very dependent on #s of fish in the river. If they aren't there it doesn't matter if you have the best guide in the world you won't catch them.

Just my .02$

For a Halibut trip 15% is enough because fishing for halibut is very simple. For a rowing or float trip I go as high as 20% if the trip produced and I got the instruction I needed. I've never had a bad guide or captain, but if I did I would tip accordingly.

Don't mean to be rude and snotty but let's not get all weepy about somebody "working their butt off" and having to do sundry small chores for the clients. Most guides are "working their butts off" because they want to be where they are, like to do what they do and many times have as much fun as the client.

Tipping should NOT be considered as something a guy has GOTTA do beyond what might be comfortable. If the trip involves a C206 loaded with stuff or a big raft on a serious river or a 35' Sportfisher obviously you might want to tip a little more......but remember, the rate you are QUOTED for that trip includes all those costs in it; nobody is taking you fishing and hoping their profit will come in the form of a tip.

Fished lots of guides in many places and most of them have been good people doing a good days work. My tips have never been ridiculous but have been a gesture of my appreciation for a good day on the water-and by good day I don't mean a whole pile of fish.

I have nothing against guides and know nothing of the guides posting or advertising in here. But I know for a fact there are a lot of people out there who don't give full value for their daily rate, are marginally capable as anglers and minimally proficient with their equipment.

No guide needs your pity an overly generous "tip" because you feel obligated.

Been there, done that...from both sides.

Don't mean to be rude and snotty but let's not get all weepy about somebody "working their butt off" and having to do sundry small chores for the clients. Most guides are "working their butts off" because they want to be where they are, like to do what they do and many times have as much fun as the client.

Tipping should NOT be considered as something a guy has GOTTA do beyond what might be comfortable. If the trip involves a C206 loaded with stuff or a big raft on a serious river or a 35' Sportfisher obviously you might want to tip a little more......but remember, the rate you are QUOTED for that trip includes all those costs in it; nobody is taking you fishing and hoping their profit will come in the form of a tip.

Fished lots of guides in many places and most of them have been good people doing a good days work. My tips have never been ridiculous but have been a gesture of my appreciation for a good day on the water-and by good day I don't mean a whole pile of fish.

I have nothing against guides and know nothing of the guides posting or advertising in here. But I know for a fact there are a lot of people out there who don't give full value for their daily rate, are marginally capable as anglers and minimally proficient with their equipment.

No guide needs your pity an overly generous "tip" because you feel obligated.

Been there, done that...from both sides.

Just like a waiter/waitress/ bartender- you're probably not getting paid much per hour and the vast majority of guides ARE looking for a tip to make some money. Not everyone is independently wealthy and can guide just for the love of it lol.

There's certainly different levels of service. A boat captain/ pilot on a sightseeing trip sitting on his butt driving all day getting tipped from 6 or maybe more people doesn't deserve as big of tip per individual as a guide who is one on one with you and/or a partner unless an enormous amount of cargo was involved. If a guide is giving you fly casting lessons, tying lessons at night, cleaning and packaging your fish, carrying all the extra junk all day you didn't need to bring or telling you exactly where to cast while sight fishing fish that you would otherwise have no clue were there and you probably wouldn't catch squat without they might be worth a few more bucks.

Just like a waiter/waitress/ bartender- you're probably not getting paid much per hour and the vast majority of guides ARE looking for a tip to make some money. Not everyone is independently wealthy and can guide just for the love of it lol.

yea I'm guiding on the kenai and kasilof.

for your self or you with an outfitter? and just for reds and trout? just curious. I have never fished for trout on the kenai, been many of other places just not there and was thinking about doing it this year.

Exactly, Many guides (unless they own their own business) aren't making that much. I had to pay around 3,000$ in permits, park passes, classes etc just to guide this season. Not to mention the cost of gear, and the cost of constantly replacing things, gas etc. Usually the tip barely covers the expense of the day ( boat gas, car gas, broken or worn gear, parking, permits, etc)

Well I'm back. Fishing was terrific, lot's of Sockeye (Red's) and Halibut. Largest Halibut was just under 90 lbs, largest Red about 10 lbs. Didn't even buy a King stamp as they were nowhere to be found.

Anywhooooooo. I tipped the Fly out guide $40, the river guide $30 and the Halibut guides $30 and they all seemed to appreciate it.

Thanks for the reply's

Fished the Kasilof and a fly-out to Big River lakes for our Sockeye. Took 6 packs for Halibut down near Ninilchik, never went out into the big water down near Homer but if I go again I will be sure to do that. Bigger fish grin