• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Buying a bike, need help

fishuhalik

So back in a previous life, I was a sportbike guy. Fast forward 8 years and I haven't had a bike since I got married & popped out some kiddos. I recently moved to South Texas & have a 110 mile commute to work, so the wife has been encouraging me to get a bike again. I don't want another sportbike cuz 220 miles in a day on one is a nightmare, but I still would like something that can scoot & get around a corner. I was thinking an SV1000 to give you an idea. Any other suggestions? I haven't really been paying attention to the motorcycle scene since I sold mine & have no idea what's been out out the last 5 years

220/day could be a nightmare on any bike. I think I would be looking at the larger touring bikes like a gold wing 1300 or 1500. I ride a cruiser approximately 80 miles/day give or take, and I don't know I would want to go much farther.

Your rear end will thank you.

I was a sportbike guy. Fast forward 8 years and I haven't had a bike since I got married & popped out some kiddos.

Wait, what?

Any who I would agree that your best bet is a cruiser/couch of some sort. I have a gsx650f and have done 500 mile day trips but have been whipped by the end.

Another thought. What happens if your very tired after work? A motorcycle is a lot less forgiving then a car and may lead to a bad outcome.

I gotta agree with JBD. Not only getting off work really whipped, but what do ya' do if it's pouring rain, or nasty weather? 110 miles on a bike in schnitty weather is kind of a drag.

Geez fish, you couldn't find a place to live a little closer to work? That's a BRUTAL commute!

If you're dead set on a bike find a comfy cruiser that gets fantastic mileage. I know a BMW Rockster isn't quite a cruiser, but it's a really comfy ride, and it would save huge on your gas bill.

Ya, there were plenty of places to live in the town I work in, but it's an oilfield town so the homes are crazy expensive. So we moved to Houston. A 4 bed, 3 bath really nice home in Katy (think Woodbury) is $200k+/-. The same home in Victoria would be $450k+/-. And the schools in Victoria are pretty awful.

I don't plan on making the trek every day, just on days when it's nice out, which is pretty much always in South Texas. It's rained once in the 2 months I've been here. & I won't take it when I'm working those long oilfield days, just when I'm not going in the field & working 8-5 in the shop.

I really don't want a cruiser. After driving sportbikes for so long, it's frustrating driving a cruiser. They sure are comfy, but I'll take cornering & scoot over comfy every day.

You are looking for a 'sport-standard'. Sometimes also called 'muscle bikes'.

A good example is the R1/FZ1 comparison. Same basic Genisis engine block, different heads and detuned. Different frame with more upright posture. Still puts down horsepower that the Hardley Ableson guys can only dream about. All on 87 octane at ~50mpg if you are easy with the right wrist. Valve intervals of 26,000 miles. Stone hammer reliable. Change the wind screen and bars to suit your needs. Get an aftermarket seat if you need.

It will make your inner squid smile just a bit every time you throw a leg over.

I own a 2002. I average about 20,000 miles a summer on it The FZ chassis was revamped into the Gen II in the mid 2000s. Closer to the R1 now with a tighter posture and USD forks but still much more comfortable to ride for any distance. Best bike I ever rode was a mid 80s FJ1200. That bike fit me perfectly. The engine vibrations were horrible though.

What about something along the lines of a Kawasaki Concours 14? Handles the twisties great, loads of power, goes like a bat outta hell, has hard side bags to carry things like a cooler or it fits a full face helmet and a jacket in each. It also has an adjustable windscreen. I would opt for an aftermarket seat. The stocker is ok but can result in a bad case of monkey butt until you get accustomed to it.

You are looking for a 'sport-standard'. Sometimes also called 'muscle bikes'.

A good example is the R1/FZ1 comparison. Same basic Genisis engine block, different heads and detuned. Different frame with more upright posture. Still puts down horsepower that the Hardley Ableson guys can only dream about. All on 87 octane at ~50mpg if you are easy with the right wrist. Valve intervals of 26,000 miles. Stone hammer reliable. Change the wind screen and bars to suit your needs. Get an aftermarket seat if you need.

It will make your inner squid smile just a bit every time you throw a leg over.

FZ1 is still pretty high strung. A Suzuki Bandit is a nice bike of similar cloth, but doesn't have to be wound quite as tight to make the power.

Anyone ever checked out the Suzuki Boulevard M109? Nice compromise between crotch rocket and cruiser. Brutal power. Around here it's referred to as a muscle bike

I have a Vulcan 2000. It's a cruiser with a big engine. Massive torque and relatively fast for a tank, like is the M109.

To me a muscle bike is like the Yamaha V-Max or maybe even a Harley V-Rod or the (now discontinued) Suzuki B-King. Naked or standard bikes with goobs of HP.