• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I'm going up there middle of July and I emailed a trout guide to book a float trip and he emailed me back and said that there was a flood last year? He said that all the fish in the river are small this year and tried to reccomend a lake trip.

Anyone else have any info???

I'd try to find another guide. Preferably one who knows what he's talking about. Be glad you did not book with him. Floods do not wipe out fish and floods do not make all the fish small. Nonsense.

Banff is a wonderful piece of country. Don't get stepped on by an elk! Ha Ha Ha!

This is what he wrote me.

Quote:
Hello John

yes we are available for both the lake and river, but are filling up fast

the river had a very serious flood last year and the fishing has probably been affected

We still have fish but they may be smaller for a few years

The river is absolutely gorgeous, the Lake is stunning

The Lake has easy fishing, easier than the river by far

Fish for lake trout and rocky mountain whitefish, both are great fun

Fly or spin fish on the lake or the river at that time of year

All trips are private, you will get your own boat and guide, all equipment supplied at no extra cost

River fishing license cost is $36.36 and is purchased the day of the trip, I.D. is necessary

Lake license is $10 sold right on the boats

Lake trips last 4 1/2 hours. River trips last 4 to 7 hours

Hope this helped, please email back

Anders from Banff Fishing Unlimite

Well I just got back from Banff/Jasper. It was absolutely beautiful up there if you got away from the insane crowds. Not difficult as most tourists will hike a max of 2 miles grin

My girlfriend and I fished in a few places. Mostly the Bow river and its tributaries. I did hear mention of the flood when talking to some of the locals. It seems the water and storms blew down a lot of trees and made some of the better areas inaccessible. With regards to the size of fish, I would have to agree with him. Most were small, as in the length of my hand, with a gem or two thrown in. The water was also quite stained which made spotting difficult, but also made it easier to sneak up on target areas. We caught browns, rainbows, brookies, cutthroat, and a few bulls.

Bottom line, I won't be running back there any time soon just to fish. But for the view, Banff is hard to beat

vQXnnCd.jpg

Just make sure to watch your back… You may not be the only one fishing.

zDbe41M.jpg

Vitreous, just so you won't wallow in total disappointment regarding the size of the fish you caught, there are plenty of fish in the Bow and a small group of other rivers that will five you all the battle you can handle on a fly rod.

Sounds like you hit some tough conditions and some poor areas.

The Bow, Oldman etc.etc. can put out plenty of trophy size fish.

Try it again some time! smile