• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stuff that just works ("The Snip" Product review)

I've always thought there should be a Nobel Prize for people who invent Stuff That Just Works. Things that make life easier. Like, the inventor of the Ziploc bag. They should get some kind of award...

When it comes to fishing gear, I really appreciate simple things that just do what they're supposed to do and make fishing better. Hitch Series trailer keepers are a good example. They're deceptively simple, and they just work.

My new favorite entrant in this category is the Boomerang Tool Company's "The Snip" line cutters.

I learned the hard way - some expensive dental work - that biting mono with my front teeth was a bad idea. You could chew on braid for a year and not bite through it. So for years I've tried to find a convenient, effective answer to having line cutters handy in the boat. I've had clippers hanging on lanyards from one end of the boat to the other, sewing scissors, 'braid' scissors, pocket knives... They all had shortcomings. Clippers would eventually get dull cutting braid. Same with scissors. They'd rust, bend, fall apart, or just not be handy enough when I needed them. I've sent Lord knows how many pocket knives through the wash, so they end up sitting in the laundry room not in my pocket when I need them.

They're all getting replaced by these:

BOOMS-BK-1.jpg

These things...well, they just work.

They're about 3" long, with sliding jaws you push forward using slides on the side of the tool that come out so you can squeeze the jaws shut to cut the line. You can use them one-handed (and either right or left handed) - just slide the jaws forward and you are ready to cut.

They cut through 80# braid like it's sewing thread, and you can trim knots like an Albright knot connecting braid to a fluoro leader unbelievably close so they go through guides without catching, and don't pick up weeds... With the retractable lanyard you can reach up to 3' away with them so you can hang one at a convenient place in the boat and not have to try to hunt one down... I can have a tag end snipped off and be back fishing before I could even get a scissors or nail clippers gripped right.

All my clippers and scissors went in the trash, and I now have three of these hanging in my boat. For $12 or so, they're worth every penny, especially compared to the crown I have on my left front tooth cry

Seems silly to get geeked about something as simple as line cutters, but how many times a day do you have to trim off a tag end when you retie or change lures? It's something we do constantly, and these do it incredibly well. Love the things...

Do these things cut slack braid? I hate having to pull tension on braid to get a clean cut on my knots. Especially the leader to mainline knots!

Yup, they do.

Thanks for this! I think everyone can feel your pain before finding these - I know I use a combination of my teeth, clippers, scissors, and then usually have to dig to find something that works. I recently bought a pair of Aluminum Pliers with braid cutters so I could have them on my hip and in close reach for cutting line/getting hooks out of fish but I will probably pick a couple of these up to have in the box/boat.

Another thumbs up here! They cut easily and the ability to cut tags to the point they're almost not there is outstanding. I have a lighted one that was handy on opener.

Good stuff!

The real question is how well do these things work? How long do they last? Are they still as good the 50th time as they were the 1st time? Just thinking of that after trying out a multitude of these different type of cutters.

I've had mine for two years. Still cut like day one. The label comes off rather quickly and they don't really feel indestructible but they are handy enough that I wouldn't have a problem replacing them every couple years or so. I still haven't found a retractable that doesn't break rather easily. Mine hasn't yet but I haven't been hanging them from it either.