• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best way to fillet crappies or other panfish?

Born2Fish

Question

I have tried(with little luck)many times to fillet a panfish right. But every time it seems that i end up wasting more meat than i should. What i do is:

scale them, cut off the heads, open the stomach area, clean them out, cut off all remaining fins and the tail. Now this works alright but it leaves way to many bones. Anyone at all have a better way to fillet panfish? Any help would be just great!

4 answers to this question

Born2fish, If no one can help you e-mail me at [email protected] and I will try to put something together for you, a diagram or something maybe. Can't figure out how to explain to you in words but it is very quick and easy once you have it down.

Born2fish. I did a search on my favorite search engine www.dogpile.com Typed in fish filleting and got a number of good sites on the net with tutorials on the subject. They should help. But there's nothing like having someone with experience showing you how. Once you get the hang of it there's nothing to it. I do know the smaller the pan fish the harder it is to fillet. Try it on some 7+" gills to make it easier. With blue gills I usually scale them they fillet them, the skin on a gill is very tasty.
watch your fingers smile.gif
Good fishing.

If you fry them whole, then pull the dorsel fin off. Take your thumbs, or fork, where the fin was and you can lay back both sides clean and no bones.
Rooster