• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Canoes and kayas should not require registration

I really hate how the small boats need registration. With such a short season in this state, how many people ever get out on their canoe or kayak more than a few times a year. How many people have a pile of them up at their cabins for the kids to go out and tool around in. Yes, the registration is relatively cheap, but it's still money and still a hassle. I think they should have lifetime licenses on them like trailers. Just pay once and be done.

I use my kayak 2-3 times a week! There was a time they didnt need registration then they changed it to any watercraft over 10ft.I switched out to a 9ft 6in yak.2years later when the popularity started picking up they changed that!!! My yak I had was sold. I wish I had it back I cant use 2 at once so only kept one that wasn't charged fees!

It irritates me! Once the DNR saw more $$ because of popularity picking up the rules were changed. everything revolves around charges and fees!!

With a one time fee they cant get all those $$o pay supervisors.Have you looked at what the higher ups in the DNR get paid? Somehow sometime our DNR needs a kick start from the people who just abide,comply and obey!

I'm a liberal When I complain about taxes and over sight its serious to me.The big boat the fishing boat,canoe,duck boat then a little hull only powered by a paddle.What you think about Obama?

jentz- Here you go. It is located in the 2014 MN DNR Boating guide book. I highlighted the part. Hope this helps smile

Kayak_zpsd2b420b9.png

Too funny...Even if you did have to pay $24.00/3 years wah...I guarantee you go out to eat once a week an pay that...Sh*t costs money thats how it is and always will be...Good fishing

Thanks BrianP.Last year mine expired and I am registered till 2015.

For those who think its just a small fee.How many things arent required a fee by law?

We pay taxes and fees for most everything.Make it,spend it its taxed die your taxed EVERYTHING they can squeeze a buck out of they (the government) Collects and spends for their pet projects whims and wants.Its got to stop somewhere!!!

Its just a small fee Add them up!

Services aren't free, you must pay a fee. I doubt the DNR employee wants to build landings for free. Or patrol the lakes looking for poachers for free. You get the point, like someone else stated, you gotta pay if you wanna play.

Services aren't free, you must pay a fee. I doubt the DNR employee wants to build landings for free. Or patrol the lakes looking for poachers for free. You get the point, like someone else stated, you gotta pay if you wanna play.

What service to paddle a canoe around? How many canoes do you see rolling down the ramp at the launch? Poachers? We're talking about boating, not fishing. Take poachers up with the fishing license crowd.

I was in a store that rents out stand up paddle boards. Every single one had a lanyard with a registration sticker on it. Now, if that's because they are rentals, fine, whatever, but if it's really required for everyone to have one on, that's just dumb. I'm not sure if they were over 10ft long or not. They were decently long.

If you have to pay to play, maybe they should start registering everyone's bicycle, horse, roller blades, goggles for swimming, inner tubes, cross country skis and snowshoes. I'm sure you'd be alright with that too?

They are taxing us to death.

I was wondering where they put those stickers on paddleboards. They are all the rage on the city lakes. Glad to see the PFD's being used or stashed on them though, I've seen plenty of folks take headers off those things. And yes, I bust a gut every time.

Still trying to get the vision of two bikini clad girls doing yoga on them out of my mind. (That's just not fair) smile

I'm curious what you guys think happens to that money? Have you stopped to consider all the amenities specifically for canoes and kayaks that the DNR invests in? Those portage signs aren't free. And, around here in St Cloud, there are a lot of DNR maintained canoe landings on small lakes and Mississippi backwaters. That cost comes from somewhere.

I own 3 canoes and think it is very cheap price for a 3 year sticker. We got a very good system of public waters and access program,maybe it is just a trail,but we got access.

In a day that human populations keep increasing look around you and see how lucky we are to have what we got.

Yes some of it goes to law enforcement also.

What service to paddle a canoe around? How many canoes do you see rolling down the ramp at the launch?

Even if you aren't backing a trailer down the ramp to get it in the water, I'm guessing you'd use the public launch.

Whine, whine, whine. "They" tax too much. "They" shouldn't tax the things I like to do or own. "They" get paid too much.

Who do you suppose decides what those taxes/fees should be? The "government"? That's us, we elect our government, from school board to city, county, state and federal offices. That's who writes the laws and levies the taxes. The people we elect. (Well, I'll agree that much legislation is written by lobbyists, but that's another rant for another time.)

You might also want to consider that many of the DNR employees may be paid less than you and I are. It's certainly not a get-rich-quick profession, even at the top. Most government agencies pay less for management positions than similar corporate positions.