• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Garmin Fishfinder 160?

Lowe

Question

I bought a Garmin FF 160 a couple years ago, and at first it worked fine, but after a while I started to lose sensitivity, especially in my white line, so I couldn't tell a mud bottom from a rock bottom. I tried several things, including moving the tranducer around, rerouting the trans. cable away from power sources, cleaning the connectors. Nothing seemed to help, so I just cranked up the sensitivity as a temporary cure. Then on my last fishing trip of 2002 I started losing the depth read-out. The digital read-out would start to flash and then go blank. This happened when I was drifting and cruising - I've never had good readouts over about 30 mph and don't expect to, but I like having a readout when I'm going 10-20 mph. I was wondering if anyone has had similar problems with their graph and had any advice. Thanks a bunch - Lowe

6 answers to this question

Yeah, battery seems to be fine. I also have a readout for volts and that is always at 12.5-13. I had always thought Garmin was a good brand but I'm not sure I would buy anoher graph from them after this.

There are two things that would cause your unit to give those readings. The first would be a broken/cracked transducer element. But the more common one is a wear connection in the cannon plug that connects everything to the back of the unit. Disconnect the power cable from the battery and give both sides of that plug a good spray with contact cleaner. Let it dry for a bit and connect it back up, see if that helps.

Rob

Thanks for the info. I've always been very careful with the unit, trying to keep it clean, etc, but maybe it is something simple like a dirty contact that I missed. I did think it was a nice graph until it started doing this - hopefully I'll ge it fixed.

Mr. Pike1, just out of curiosity, any idea how fast you can go before you lose your bottom readout on your 240? Thanks - Lowe

[This message has been edited by Lowe (edited 02-19-2003).]

Lowe, I have a 16' Lund Mr. Pike boat with a 90 mercury on it. My top end speed is about 40 mph. I generally do not ever lose bottom contact. I have on occassion however on very calm water at top end speed lost contact when I was at the 40 mph rang...