• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Downscans and Snapshots

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John. A little explanation would also be helpful to "us" that have a hard time understanding what we are seeing? I understand the boat tracking, and way points. The screen on the left. Weeds or?? Thanks!

Geez, my boat goes 20 mph slower and its plenty fast for me. Bet 60 is exciting on the water.

Took this one last spring on my LSS-2 Side Scan. After looking at it with a few different passes and the underwater camera), concluded it was a dock that was pushed out (or ice carried out). Sitting in 19 FOW, it makes for a great crappie location.

Found some other interesting stuff on the lake bottom too.

full-5554-44856-dock.jpg

I try to match my DI and SI chart speed to what my speed is, ie; 1MPH= 1 on the chart speed.

This was actually two fish, a 24" and a 26" walleye on the Mille Lacs mud. We worked them for awhile before we could get them to commit.

Since we where on the mud, I would have fished the 2D image since there aren't things like that on the mud, but had we been in the gravel or weeds I may have not taken it so seriously.

Good points made. I have a pretty interesting one from this past summer that i think about five bass were stacked right on top of each other. I was skeptical at first about my abilities reading my di mode an if i had everything set correctly. This year i will be taking a lot more snap shots

this was such a great idea. I am a fairly new boat owner going on its second open water season (let me tell you the 1st year had its battles, from sonar issues to blowing out one of the bearings on the trailer)

this year I hope to be more prepared, I also purchased a new Elite 5dsi and hope to use you guys as a resource to make sure I am reading the thing correctly. I have used it this winter for gps and getting use to the unit, but needless to say I am anxiously waiting for some open water trips.

On the traditional sonar I may have stopped to put more effort into this drop off. There is some stuff there on the edge and it may be fish tight to the bottom, but the DI clearly shows that it's just some short grass/weeds there. Fishing time saved, time to go look for better structure.

Thanks John - keep'em coming these are really helping me better understand what I am seeing with my DSI. Last year in a time of need I picked up the Lowrance Elite 5 DSI, my GPS unit went toes up, I didn't think that not having traditional 2D sonar would be a problem but I have been struggling trying to interpret the less obvious images on the DSI. I still have a 2D in the boat but it's not on the bow where I spend the majority of my fishing time. So I'm learning still and these posts are helping.

I have a question for you John. How do I know if my snapshots and way points are saving to my memory card? I am assuming I should be able to figure it out in my settings somewhere but I haven't been able too.

I haven't took enough snapshots to know if its saving to my memory card because I have only ever looked at them in my boat and on my graph

Thanks John. I am going to have to research that a little more and I also see a new update is out for my unit.

Cant wait to get out this weekend and hopefully I find something worth taking a couple snaps of!

can I take snapshots on humviewer? what do you know about autocharts? I fish a lot of small lakes without maps or 5 ft DNR maps. I like the thought of making my own. the way I understand it, I can record and save my trolling around the lake and use autochart to make my own lake chip of the areas that I want. I believe the autochart pro will make the I pilot and depth highlight work.

You are correct in what the autochart will do. In the advanced version you can even make a 3D map of the bottom hardness. That tool alone would make it easy to see transition area and help eliminate lots of water.

You set the snapshot feature up in the menu menu bar. It's in the last segment to the right.

if anyone has some snapshots of the bottom hardness transition areas i'd sure love to see them and what exactly they look like, rock to sand to mud etc...and how much of a change you are looking for.