• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mounting and balancing tires

Steve Bakken

So I'm due for my first new set of tires. I got the new ones ordered from Dennis Kirk, got the wheels off, and called up the bike dealer in town to set up an appointment, and was quoted at $70 labor per wheel, $90 per, if they're still on the bike. Is this a normal price to mount and balance a bike tire? I work in the automotive service industry and have done tons of car and truck tires and it takes about ten minutes. Now i understand that there are characteristics that are unique to bike tires, but i can't imagine that the mechanics are THAT much different. Can somebody educate me?

Yes, that is the going rate. If you buy the tires through the dealerships, the mount and balance will be much cheaper.

There's a few smaller shops in the metro who do work at a much lower rate. There's supposed to be a sport bike shop in Eden Prairie that claims to be cheaper than any dealer.

I've also heard several horror stories about a particular dealership in Hopkins.

Not sure what you've got around your area.

The local tire dealer where I live would do the tires and mounter reasonable if I pulled the tire/wheels off the bike. About the cost of normal tires.

Could call a few tire shops and see if they would do the same.

It is not hard to do if you know what you are doing. 20 minutes to get the old one off and the new one on with spoons. If you break a sweat you are doing it wrong.

I buy four rears and two fronts from the same lot. I spoon on he first set and spin them on the dynamic balance rig I made. When the tire are switched out I make sure to align the tire the same as the previous and usually find that I need no correction weights, I don't even both checking them any more. When I get a new lot I check them and find that minimal if any correction is needed.

... If you buy the tires through the dealerships, the mount and balance will be much cheaper.

One has to consider the bottom line cost of tires + mount/ balance + shipping (if applicable) + hassle factor, etc.

At the dealer, the mounting may be cheaper if you buy from them, but I've found the cost of tires is typically higher. But, then, there is some hassle factor to order tires elsewhere and line up a place to do the work.

Just have to do the math and factor how much you want to be involved. Myself, I'm capable of relatively complex repair/ maintenance stuff but I don't particularly enjoy it anymore so I factor my time into the cost equation when considering a more DIY oriented approach.

So I'm due for my first new set of tires. I got the new ones ordered from Dennis Kirk, got the wheels off, and called up the bike dealer in town to set up an appointment, and was quoted at $70 labor per wheel, $90 per, if they're still on the bike. Is this a normal price to mount and balance a bike tire? I work in the automotive service industry and have done tons of car and truck tires and it takes about ten minutes. Now i understand that there are characteristics that are unique to bike tires, but i can't imagine that the mechanics are THAT much different. Can somebody educate me?

You can do the tire no problem. Balancing may be an issue depending on.