• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Suggestions Appreciated!

I have a 12 year old son that for the past year has read every kayak fishing book, watched every kayak fishing show, memorized every YouTube video, and has walked dogs, mowed lawns, and raked leaves all over the neighborhood to save money for a kayak.

I'd appreciate any advice you could give me on what a "fair" entry level fishing kayak could be. I recognize that we aren't in the market for something on the high end of quality, but I want him to get his money's worth. He's saved up about $700 so far. I'm proud of him and don't want to squish his dreams, but don't want him to end up disappointed either. Are there options in that price range? Or is he another summer of saving away?

Thanks for your help!

$700 should buy him a great entry kayak. Since he's done his research, it would be helpful if we knew what type of fishing kayak he wanted (sit in, or sit on top). Most kayak fisherman tend to go with sit on top's, which is what I'll offer some advice on.

The best advice I would offer is to keep your eyes peeled for good deals on Craigs list.

If you search for "KAYAK WILDERNESS SYSTEMS FISHING SOT RIDE 135" you'll find one located in Clear Lake, MN for only $600 (Minneapolis craigs list). The guy is also including a paddle, and a dolly. Pretty good deal, IMO.

Ocean Kayak Tridents/Prowlers tend to pop up for sale sometimes also. The 11' model would be a great kayak for him, and if found used, would fit his budget as well. Brand new, they're a few hundred dollars more than he has to spend though.

You're in Apple valley I see,Over in Shakopee there is a outlet for St.Croix sunchaser kayaks.If they are yet under that name.I have a address somewhere,Probably on my sales receipt.Try googling them or just generic kayak outlets in shakopee.

Excellent entry level yaks at around $300.00.Find them and go look.If you ever get out Willmar way your son is welcome to try mine out!

Great to hear smile

I'd def look for either a used OK Prowler 11/13, OK Tetra 12, or one of the wilderness systems rigs. Prob get one for $5-600 if you look hard. Don't skimp on the paddle, but he probably already knows that.

How does he plan on hauling it?

Last year I bought a NuCanoe Frontier 12 and I love it. It's a very stable craft. However, under the circumstances you described, I would suggest looking at Crow Wing Kayaks. Specifically the 1080 Pro-Angler. It's a lighter water craft for your son and geared towards the avid fisherman. And it seems to be reasonably priced. Finally, I would suggest your son (and you) check out:

http://mnkayakfishingassociation.org/

A local organization geared toward the kayak fisherman of Minnesota.

Good Luck!

I love my Old Town Vapor Angler 10ft. I was able to get every thing for under $600 (kayak, paddle, and lifejacket). Tomorrow I am going to get a fish finder for it and going to have a video on youtube. Just remember in Minnesota a kayak that is non motorized that is more that 10 ft needs to be licensed. That is one less expense that someone will have to pay for. Before I got my kayak I emailed the DNR and made sure that I didn't need to license it for fishing.