• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hypertech Programers

iffwalleyes

Question

I was just wondering if anyone has used one of the hypertech programers to reprogram a trucks computer. I have 2002 Silverado and I am trying to decide if the performance upgrade would be the cost of one of these.

10 answers to this question

Iff
Just make sure you check with your dealer if the truck is under waranty!I had a chip put in a ford powerstroke.The chip or something caused the computer to blow.The dealer would not waranty the computer and said if the engine blew they would not waranty it either!!
I guess it was fords policy not the dealers

------------------
Try Too Fish
Forced Too Work!!:)

the ford and chevy kit are not the same. ford you replace part of the computer or add/remove a chip depending on you motor. the chevy kit just reprograms the timing. not sure about yours but i do know that the ford version does void it. your best bet would be to get rid of that chevy and buy a real truck. dont you feel like some kind punk yuppie driving that thing around? let me guess??? stepside? some kind of cover on the back so you cant use the bed?

Hey, what's the matter with a stepside with a cover? I have a 97 Ford shortbox STEPSIDE and a leather COVER on the back. I have my fish trap, 2 heaters, power auger, hand auger, 2 five gallon buckets filled with tip-ups, and my lunch box. just giving ya a hard time. Ford's ARE the BEST!!!

Tell me when and where and we will hook them up and you will find out what real power is. If you have a step side it doesn't even count as a truck. It is just a wanta be truck. You can talk all the smack you want but until you have a Chevy you don't even have a truck. I must say though only the rich can afford Ford go to the part store and you will know what I mean. A quick joke for you why is a tampon better than a Ford truck? Well at least a tampon comes with it's own tow rope. Know seriously I'm not asking about how they will work on a Ford never owned one and never will I was wondering how the programmers work with the Chevys.

[This message has been edited by iffwalleyes (edited 02-26-2003).]

I don't care whether it's a Ford or a Chevy. If it has an 8-foot bed, it's a pickup with a STANDARD bed, not a long-box. And if it doesn't have an 8-foot bed, it's not a pickup, it's a piece of fool's hardware.

These marketing poofs these days call a 6-foot bed standard, which, of course, we used to call a short-box back in the days when men were men and a pickup was a tool. And, gosh, now there are even shorter-bed things that sort of resemble pickups but really are just passenger SUVs with a bit of open room for luggage.

Nope, when you want to haul lumber or logs or move your daughter to college or bring supplies for a summer at the lake, if you don't have a full-length bed, you ain't got nothing, and had best just swallow your pride and buy a Buick.

Yeah, I feel better now.

------------------
"I still miss my ex-wives, but my aim is getting better!"
Steve Foss
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 02-26-2003).]

Iffwalleyes
i will take you up on that offer - maybe you should have check what i have???? any day any time - always up for a road check. would not be the first chevy boy i sent home to mom. the only chevy motor i have respect for is the 454 - but only because i have not had a chance at it....yt

just want to make sure thatt everyone knows that i am doing this for fun not out of disrespect
sorry about the spelling

[This message has been edited by mtreno (edited 02-27-2003).]

There is a law that protects us from the manufactures voiding a warranty just because we chose to put an aftermarket part on the truck.If they said the aftermarket part was the cause they have to prove this, I don't remember the name or code of this law, but if you log on to any one of the truck forums I am sure some on there will know.
As for my baby, I run a 2000 F150 5.4,Super cab,4x4 Offroad, super chip,Airraid filter charger with a K&N , Gibson side exit one tube exhaust, 3:55 gears stock Good years (for now any way), a Paxton super charger with 8PSI pully, extrude honed intake, polished exhaust ports, high flow cats and a set of JBL headers.
The dyno run last summer said 370 hp and 435 torque, any chevy boys care to hook up? smile.gif
It is funny to see the look on the face of a punk with his dadys pontiace tring to impress his buddies when I smokem at the lights.Have several speeds to prove the truck is fast for a 5800 lbs beast.
Getting back to the question at hand though, the Hypertech programers work ok on the chevy's but the Fords don't like them.Your better off getting the Super chip or the Deablo chip, these are designed for Fords and take advantage of Fords notoriusly retarded timing, to change the spark curve and timing to better the fire from the plugs and to open the flow of gas more.Ford has a problem with tring to please every one and not pumping up thier trucks like the could.
Just my two cents,Benny

------------------
Ben's Tackle and Guide [email protected]