• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Baitcaster reel

Musky hunter 82

I'm looking to add a new bait caster in a few months, I'll mainly use it for tossing spinner baits, rattle traps and that type of lure. I'll be using it mostly for bass, in and around weeds. My budget is $100 or less, so with knowing that what would you guys get? I'm not picky about what brand it is I just want one that is going to last.

Thank you

TW has the Daiwa T3 Ballistic Casting Reel for $110 I know it's a bit over your budget, but that is a $250 dollar reel..........personally I don't have an opinion on it but that is a reel I'm currently checking out. I'm sure someone else will Chime in...I know there are a few Shimanos that are around that price point.

I would check out the Lews Speed Spool for $100. Very smooth and casts a mile. I don't think there is another $100 reel out there that compares to it. I've been an abu guy for awhile but am slowly transitioning over to Lews. In my opinion the $100 Lews beats the $130 Abu Revo S hands down.

I would check out the Lews Speed Spool for $100. Very smooth and casts a mile. I don't think there is another $100 reel out there that compares to it. I've been an abu guy for awhile but am slowly transitioning over to Lews. In my opinion the $100 Lews beats the $130 Abu Revo S hands down.

This was going to be my recommendation as well. The Abu/Lews reels are very similar, I own some of each. Unless you can find a good sale on a higher priced reel the Lews is a solid option.

I have been transitioning to all Lews over the last few years, at $100 dollars the speed spool is hard to beat, I like the tourney mg for $30 bucks more though, both the drag and the break system "click" into positions. In my experience the drag remains smoother over the life of the reel. They also fit and feel good on the rod. All but two are Lews, with another reel on order.

full-35223-43865-image.jpg

The Daiwa Ballistic is an awesome reel for $110 on TW. I have two of them both in the 8:1 ratio, very smooth and super easy to cast with the t wing system, I have the lews speed spool as well but it isn't the reel the Daiwa is. They have the ballistic in 8:1, 7:1, an d 6:1.

I've used a Quantum Kinetic for the last couple years and it has been a good reel. They retail at around $100, but you usually can get them on bay of EE for alot less. I also just got last years Daiwa Exceler for $50(normally $90) at Cabelas. Have heard good things about them on here and elsewhere, but haven't used it yet. I see they are still on sale on their HSOforum.

I also got a Shimano Caenan that I like, but I would recommend the Citica over it, as the Citica has an Aluminum frame and the Caenan is graphite and can flex a bit under heavy use. The Caenan does cast nice and I assume the Citica is even better.

Whatever you get, make sure it has an Aluminum frame. You'll be happier with it. Good luck and have fun reel shopping!

Another vote for Lews.. I've been very happy with mine.

Another one that is off the radar and I've never understood why, is the Pflueger Trion. As near as I can tell, they're indestructible.

Another vote for Lews.. I've been very happy with mine.

Another one that is off the radar and I've never understood why, is the Pflueger Trion. As near as I can tell, they're indestructible.

I Bought two of the Trions at the end of last year at Big C for $50 a piece. They have been good reels so far. A few people mentioned issues with Pflueger worm gears in a different thread on here, so I didn't mention them. I haven't had any issues so far, but have only used them for about 2 months. I guess after this year I should find out if the Trions have the same issue. For the price they seem like good reels. I see they are still one sale on their HSOforum.

There are some fantastic deals at the SportsShow. Don't think we can post names, but numerous guys on this forum work or are involved with one particular vendor that had some unreal deals on reels that have been discussed on this forum.

Check them out.

If you're out shopping and find a deal on a Quantum, give one a try. They have some in the $100.00 range, but you can sometimes upgrade on discontinued models. All my reels, baitcasting and spinning (except for the two line counters) are Quantum and I have nothing but good things to say about them.

I'm the KING of cheap...

for the types of lures you going to throw i wouldnt be afraid to go ABU Black MAX. For the $100 you could get two. If you want to double as a walleye rod get the Silver MAX with the flipping switch.

The Black MAX with a Lightning Rod is about as good as you can get on a budget and will still fish well.

other low buck baitcasters - lews, diawa exceller, quantum accurist.

for the cast and retrieve baits you mention i'd stay with lower retrieve reels say 6:4:1 to 5:3:1.