Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Chemist

Chest wader recommendations?

19 posts in this topic

If you are expecting to use them in warmer weather get a lighter pair (thinner). What you also have to look at is how much time you are going to spend in them. If you are just slipping them on for 1hr max a time I would actually go w/ a pair of rubber ones otherwise a cheap set of neoprenes. If you plan on using them alot. Look for reinforced knees, crotch (I've found that these are usually the places that wear the most). Next look at the boot sole, make sure you get a pair that accomodates the type of ground you'll be walking on. Also consider the insulation on the inside of the boot. Don't rely on it saying insulated. Not all insulated boots are created equal. Next I would make sur you buy a size bigger than you would normally get in shoes. Lastly try them on. Make sure they fit, walk around bend, squat, lift your leg up onto a bench like you're climbing. You will more than likely be doing all of this when you're wearing them.

As for brand I've heard that Hodgman are pretty good. I got Gander Mountains brand that I bought at Banks when they closed up a bunch of the Gander stores a few years back.

Basically though with waders it's like blue jeans: What may work/fit one person, may not work/fit another. You may also want to go get an idea of what's out there and then do a little on-line research as to any deals that maybe around.

Good Luck.

I'm gonna take a try on the 'shoe again this coming weekend w/ the 3yr old.

Fish On,

I've been using Cabela's 3mm and 5mm Neoprene Guide Weight Waders for about 15 years. I still have my original one's for "Back-UP".

I use them for Steelhead fishing in the spring, Duck Hunting in the Fall, putting in my Dock at the Cabin and I even wear them in the Boat if I want to stay totally dry in cold/wet conditions. The 5mm are very durable and the warmest due to thickness.

The Cabela's Guide level stuff is far superior to the other brands in my opinion, but others will argue based on personal experience.

The tips on size etc., especially the boots are real important. I wear an 11 Shoe and buy a 12 for extra room for cold weather purposes.

If you don't plan on using the waders in real cold conditions, I'd opt for the lite-weight Gortex Style stocking foot model and buy the separate wading boots. That way, if you damage the waders and they need replacing, you don't have to toss your wading boots too.

------------------
Chells

Oh yeah, forgot the applications:

float tube
river and lake floating
river wading-tons of rock
bank walking

I guess a rugged/flexible pair is what I need, or is that an oxymoron?. I'll be fishing mostly rocky rivers, but sandy lakes aren't out of the question.

Stephen

Stick to neopreen but I would go w/ the stocking foot. Get the wading boots that go over them and get the ones for walking on rocks. I believe with the rubber soled boots you may have a problem with slipping.

Cabella's offers the neoprene with the felt sole which I use exclusively for river wading. These things make a tremendous difference when walking on rocks. I prefer these over a rubber boat. I've had mine for 6 years and no problems yet. Stood in mud, ice and layed in goose fields with them. Definately worth every penny.

If your gonna be doing alot of walking in them I would highly recomend getting a stockingfoot model. They are much, much more comfortable. And if your only going in "warmer" weather the gore-tex/breathable are awesome. I have a pair made by LL Bean and while they wernt cheap they are durrable, cool, and have a lifetime warranty. Cabelas 5mm stocking foots are reasonably priced and have held up well for me, and I abuse and use equiptment. After blowing out a few pair of wading boots iv'e had my Cabelas master guide wading boots a few years and they seem indestructable. Definatly order a size larger on the boots...

I have a pair of rockys thinsulate. They are nice and warm but Chemist is right with the rubber sole you do slip on rocks. Many times duck hunting the Sauk I've slipped and slide on the rocks. A guy I hunted with once swears by his Hodgmans

I put alot of miles on my waders and no waders will last me more than a couple of years. Thats why I went back to the basics...Fleetfarm specials like Pro Line or Hodgmans.

I don't use um for cold weather too much but if the water is real cold I just wear my insulation under my jeans.

I know alot of guys like the Neoprene but for me they're too much work getting into and out of....On the other hand, If you fall into some dangerous water, "floppy" waders could be fatal.....So what do I do? Put rocks for the rock polisher into my floppy waders. sport-smiley-027.gif

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

Galyans has the Hodgemans stockingfoot neoprene waders (called casters)for around 80 bucks. At that rate, you can re-use an old pair of boots or try wading shoes. The boots in "boot foot" waders are terrible once you've discovered the beauty of wading shoes. They're lighter, more agile and comfortable. Safer too!

I agree with the breathable in warmer weather. Hodgemans a great. The breathable are light and easy on and off. If you do get cold put on some fleece under them or thinsulate. I have the boots on mine and would have liked the stocking foot. Got a great clearance deal on the boot style though so couldnt pass it up.
Try gander they usually have a good selection.

I'm looking to purchase a set of waders and I know absolutely nothing about what to look for. I know I want to go with a boot foot, but thats about it. I'll be using them throughout the entire year, but mostly in the spring and summer months. Any help with recommended manufacturers, styles, thinsulate recommendations, personal experiences?

Thanks in advance,

Stephen

When you buy your waders, also buy a pair of boot hangers, when you're done, hang them up right away, don't leave them in a heap, the folds will start cracking. I've had my Hodgemans for 15 years and they're still going stong. Also consider Peet boot dryer, helps you dry them out and you can also use it on your hunting boots.

Thanks for the advice folks. I'm beginning to sway towards the wading shoe and stockingfoot option. It sounds like this combination would best suit my needs.

Stephen

Flopply waders or not. Try walking out of the river after you fall and your waders full with water. Looks like a Sumo Wrestler......Use a belt around your waders for Gods Sake. grin.gif Get creative and put little pouchs and on the belt. You could even use a fanny back. Anything to slow the water filling into your waders.

If you're not wanting to spend a lot, can wait until mid June and can get to Owatonna, Cabela's will have hundreds of pairs of all styles of waders at their tent sale. If you wait until the last 3-4 hours Sunday afternoon, they are known to mark them down to pennies on the dollar. The selection isn't what it is on Saturday, but neither is the crowd. Another idea is the LaCrosse factory outlet store in LaCrosse, WI.

Now that you folks have helped me narrow down the type of wader I should need, how about wading boot syles? I've heard that the felt sole are best for slippery rocks, but does the felt hold up well in all conditions? I've looked at several designs in boots, from pvc to leather to stud soled to felt soled. Which one should a guy purchase?

Thanks again,

Stephen

Fish On

There is only one type of waders to buy and that is the SIMMS GUIDE WADER, they are indestuctible!!! I have had mine for three years and I have trout fished all over the country in all types of weather. You can buy a pant liner so you can where them in the winter. They are the best waders money can buy. I have stream, river, and float tube fished in them and they have never ever had a leak. They are spendy but are worth there price and the warranty is great. \

As far as boots Simms makes 4 different pairs I believe, I have a pair of them but I switched to the CHOTA brand. Unreal boot lightweight comfort unmatched, and the price is low but the quailty is unmatched I think you can get them for $80. Try these products you wont be dissapointed I wore crappy waders for years.

Also with the boots get the felt with the screw in screws, that would be the best way to go. But just felt is ok, you can get replacement felt if they wear out.

Also you can wear shorts in them simms waders in the summer and be completly comfortable. I wear mine in a float tube in cold trout lakes on the Gunflint Trail even in spring. There just great..

Fish On GS - Felt is the way to go with wading boots. The felt that Cabelas puts on the bottom of thier boots is very durable. Ive worn through sets of felt in a year or so before on other boots and the bottoms of my Cabelas master guide boots look barely worn after 3 years. They also make a ultra lightweight boot and a backcountry model. Im extreemly pleased with the Guide ones...

[This message has been edited by Dark Cloud (edited 02-22-2003).]