• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

having dogs

leechlake

I'm wondering where people fall on what it's like for you to have a dog or dogs in my case.

I have not not had a dog for 20 years and all but a few years we've had 2. All have been labs or goldens. It seems that sometimes they are a hassle but after all the years of having them it's just part of the routine. I hunt them for grouse, pheasants, an ducks a bit. The fish with me all the time. I enjoy their company the times I go to our cabin "alone".

I've trained them all myself and have learned through trial and error many things. I enjoy the training but don't take it to seriously. I train them to be proficient at finding birds and bringing them back and mostly for being good citizens.

When they get old or sick it is hard. I think the hardest is knowing when it's "time." I don't want to rob the dog of more time but also don't want them in pain, which can be hard to judge. Our last dog that died I waited to long and she died in our house the night before I planned on bringing her in. It was no fun going down in the morning and finding her the way she was.

For me I enjoy hunting with them but really the joy I get out of having dogs is all of the other time they are around. Having a beer in the garage just with them, watching them lay in front of the fireplace, realizing they know when I'm going to set the hook on a walleye (conditioned response, not dog genius). The drive me nuts when they get in the garbage but I don't know what it would be like to be a dog less house.

Ive said it before, my dog is my best friend. We spend countless hours on the boat and in the field. she is always there for me and im always there for her. she is 5 and it makes me so sad know that i will most likey out live her. i will more than likely always be a dog person and always have a dog

Yep it's all I do, always had labs, they live in the house, sleep on the bed, I hunt them, but my main passion is the training and the journey of taking this little 8 week old puppy to a dog that can understand a complicated set of marks and run a 350 yard blind and have fun doing it.. And then they get old and retire, Iv'e got one that will be 14 in a few days, she used to get excited about training and hunting season, now she gets excited about riding in the back seat just going for a ride in the truck..

I went a long time without owning a dog. Living in apartments wasn't conducive to training and raising a pup. As soon as my wife and I bought a house, we got a dog: a wirehair. Now we own two, and have a six-month-old son. It might sound crazy-busy, but we absolutely love our family. I can't imagine not having a dog now; for hunting or otherwise.

What I like about my labs is that they're always happy to see you! Always!!!! This morning I hit the shower, my wife let the dogs into the house, they're supposed to stay in the tiled kitchen but when I came into the carpeted living room they danced half way across the room to greet me. Sweet. With the lack of pheasants nowadays I go out hunting just because they enjoy it so much. You should have seen how they lit up the other day when I brought the shotgun out to do a coon!!! Always happy to see you!!

I have had a dog most of my life and hate to think of life without one! My current dog is the first real hunting dog I have ever had and I realized that I missed a lot of the joys a well trained hunting dog. I loved all my dogs but this pic pretty much describes them. LOL

full-378-43308-image.jpg

I have a 11 year old chessy that is enjoying her last day. She has cancer and tomorrow is the day we will make the last trip to the vet. She was born on lake mille lacs in central MN and has lived here on the lake all her life. What more could a chessy ask for, 132,000 acres of water to swim in every day there isn't ice. I am sad to finally see this day come, at as every dog owner knows, it will come, sooner or later. I am sure there will be a few tears tomorrow, but like the last two, I will move on to the next project.

Just got the ashes of my 13 year old choclolate lab back today. Never easy but it is part of life. Going to spread his ashes on opening weekend at our lake Winnie cabin, some at our favorite slough, and some at our farm in Dakota. He was a great friend and hunter. But, I will not be without a dog and pick up the new pup in less than a month! RIP Cajun.......if the next dog I own is half as loyal as you I will truly be blessed.

I just put my 12 year chessie down last week. What a heartbreaker that was. I brought his beat up dog bed with me to the vet and he was able to go to sleep next to his master without being scared He was a beautiful, hungry, loyal and tough friend that I'll miss forever.