• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

insulating crawl space

Cheers

I was wondering what the best way to insulate my crawl space would be .

The original building was a summer cabin and not intended for year round living . It was built on a footing over bedrock on a slope from back to front . The back is not an issue as a heated garage has been added, the front is built up with cement blocks about 4 feet above grade . The living area above is heated and as a result the crawl space stays warm, even though there is insulation in the floor joists enough heat escapes to heat it . I think the correct way to insulate is on the outside of the blocks with foam . I dont want the crawl space to freeze as there is plumbing to protect . One concern is the mortar cracking between the blocks from water freezing . So if I insulate on the outside I will be protecting the blocks . What do you guys think ?

I have used 2" Styrofoam sheets on the inside block walls of my crawlspace....all around. On the outside, North and west sides, I put up 2x8 sheets of Styrofoam about 2" thick all around these sides. I have covered them with plastic and just prop them against the block walls with 2x6 or 2x4. Don't know if this is a good way or not but it seems to have a lot for me. In addition, I do have heat tapes on exposed copper pipes in the crawl space with a foam insulation wrapped around the hole pipe.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish. Year round being able to use the cabin with water, safety against freeze up in the early spring and late fall? A little insulation on the outside of the wall is not going to help you out when it gets 20 below! If you are going to use it once in a awhile in the cold months just turn off the water and be done with it but if your goal is to use it year round you need to go beyond insulation on the outside foundation walls. What I ended up doing is putting down a 15 mil re-enforced poly made for this use and closed cell foam spraying the walls and rim jousts. I also heat the crawspace. To get more info you can do a search on crawlspace incapsulation.

Glue 2" foam to the inside surface of the walls, taking care to minimize gaps and holes where the sheets meet. tape the seams and you'll be good to go.

make sure and use a foam board adhesive and not a regular construction adhesive as that will react with the foam and eat it away.