• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

lund pro angler16 vs.alumacraft tournament pro 170

Question

I'm having trouble deciding which of these two 2003 boat packages are best.(both tiller steering)
1. lund 16 pro angler with 75 yamaha 4 stroke
2.alumacraft tournament pro 170 with merc 60
4 stroke e.f.i.
The lund is shorter with a wider beam.
16'6", 88" beam while the alumacraft is
16' 10", 81" beam.
The alumacraft has nicer storage compartments
lockable with dry storage and the rod storage is longer 7' (lund is 6'8")no baitwell on lund either.
The 60 hp merc 4 stroke e.f.i. motor is said to be a very smooth running fuel efficient motor.
The 75 hp 4 stroke yamaha(no e.f.i.) motor looks to have a better shifting control located on the tiller, but I have heard storys about the mid range 4 strokes without
e.f.i. having carb problems (fouling easily)
the weight of the lund is 1045# and the alumacraft 1005#
The alumacraft is only rated for 65 hp.,while the shorter lund is rated for 75 hp.
It seems the alumacraft may be a little underpowered for about the same weight boat?
Both these boats are very close in comparison and price.
Any input would be greatly apprieciated!!
Thanks in advance

7 answers to this question

I just bought my Pro Angler 16 with 60HP four stroke Yamaha last August and I am very happy with my decision.
THe IPS Hull is BIG. The boat rides great in big waves and you don't get wet.
Choose Lund, you can't go wrong.
You can run it a few years, and it will hold its resale value better than ANY boat on the market.

I'm having trouble deciding which of these two 2003 boat packages are best.(both tiller steering)
1. lund 16 pro angler with 75 yamaha 4 stroke
2.alumacraft tournament pro 170 with merc 60
4 stroke e.f.i.
The lund is shorter with a wider beam.
16'6", 88" beam while the alumacraft is
16' 10", 81" beam.
The alumacraft has nicer storage compartments
lockable with dry storage and the rod storage is longer 7' (lund is 6'8")no baitwell on lund either.
The 60 hp merc 4 stroke e.f.i. motor is said to be a very smooth running fuel efficient motor.
The 75 hp 4 stroke yamaha(no e.f.i.) motor looks to have a better shifting control located on the tiller, but I have heard storys about the mid range 4 strokes without
e.f.i. having carb problems (fouling easily)
the weight of the lund is 1045# and the alumacraft 1005#
The alumacraft is only rated for 65 hp.,while the shorter lund is rated for 75 hp.
It seems the alumacraft may be a little underpowered for about the same weight boat?
Both these boats are very close in comparison and price.
Any input would be greatly apprieciated!!
Thanks in advance

That Yamaha is a much better motor that the 60 merc. Actually you will have better fuel economy with a 4 stroke that merc. model. It will troll down better and run alot quiter since less power is reqired for the fuel system. The merc blocks are actually the same as a Yahama they copied it. I have heard more guys having problems with the mid range merc 4 strokes than I have heard of yamaha having problems. As far as the boat goes go with the lund the baitwells are a very small deal and the rod lockers your talking a difference of 2 in.

I'll put my two cents in on the Yamaha 75 4-stroke. I have a 1999 F100 (4-stroke) Yamaha. This is a carbureted motor. I have never had a carb problem or fouled a plug in 4 years. I always put Stabil and Ring-Free in every tank. In late summer to the time I winterize it, it sometimes sits 2-months without use (busy hunting) and it still hasn't gummed up. I'd go with the Lund for the extra beam. You won't notice 4 inches less in length very much, but you will notice 7 inches difference in width.

[This message has been edited by Hookmaster (edited 02-17-2003).]

Thanks for the advice,
I think the lund is probably my best bet.
( I currently own a 85 lund pro angler with a 50 merc that I'll be selling)
Its been a great relieable boat!
Does anyone know how well the 75 yamaha 4 stroke trolls down??

Actually the 60 merc. 4 stroke is a Mercury designed and built engine. Nothing to do with Yamaha. Above 60 HP in 4 stroke is the same as Yamaha.

The 60 HP Merc. will troll down lower than any 60 HP engine with the smart gauges (an added expense, but will let you troll down much better than any other 4 stroke).

As for the boats, both are good boats. When we bought our lund last year, we had it narrowed down to Lund or Alumacraft. We bought a 17' console. I would probably go with Alumacraft if I was going tiller though...