• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

WHAT IS THE BEST ICE LINE

john36jan41

I have been using power pro ice tec in 4# and love it. Like all braid, it freezes a little to the spool so you have to pull it out by hand after a while. this is no big deal to me, and doesn't slow me down at all. On the line that's out, I feel it ices up less than mono, and you can break the pieces off easily. I really love the sensitivity of this line. More than anything, I use it because I hate mono with a passion.

Also a big fan of Fireline Micro Ice.0 memory and repels water somewhat decent. Also have tried Power Pro, and P-Line Fluorocarbon. The less memory and water absorption the better, for me. The Power pro is good but absorbed water like a sponge, while the P-line had too much memory for my liking.

If I had to pick between those two lines, I'd go with the Power Pro. I've used the open water versions of it and it's good line. I, however, like to use Northland Flurosilk line on my ultralight/light ice rods and Fireline Ice on my walleye rods.

Just curious, have any of you guys tried dressing the braids with silicone flyline dressing to help it shed water better? Seems like it could work in theory.

Tunrevir~

Last spring I started using either silicone fly line conditioner or Kevin Van Dam's line conditioner on braids and it improves the way the line behaves considerably.

However I have not used braids when fishing outside in freezing temps, which would be every day this season except one. Going to give it a try after using conditioner before this season is over. And when we start getting temps above freezing (April?) and if fishing over 20' rods with braid will be the choice.

Tunrevir...I have tried several things like Stanley ice off paste and dressing for dry flies like gherkes gink. They do help but after awhile you can still get some ice up. I gob it on my fingers and run the line through and also put it on the guides. I do it before every trip. It wears off after fishing for awhile.