• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Recommend a pair of Polarized sunglasses

Question

12 answers to this question

wiz:

On sunglasses racks all over the Northland you can get them for $5 to $20, polarized and with UV block. That would be for plastic lenses (which scratch if you are not careful). If you want glass lenses (they weight a LOT more and cost a LOT more), you can get those made for you or check the catalogs for the $89.98 to $330.95 price tags.

For fishing, if it's polarized, that's all you need.

i have good luck with the ones at wal mart. they claim the more exspensive ones are better , but these do help alot and they are cheap.$8 -$12 . you can get them in different color lenses. if they get wrecked or go over board, no big deal . look around and see. del

Fitovers........The best $40.00 polarized glasses available...Far superior to others in the same price range......The cheaper ones don't hold a candle to them ...Great optics and fit........Check em out ,you'll be glad you did.

Do your eyes a favor and do not buy cheap sunglasses. Get a pair of good opthalmic quality lenses. the difference between these and cheap poor quality lenses at the end of the day is amazing. Poor quality lenses cause a great deal of eye strain and at the end of the day you can feel quite tired and drained from them. If you go with glass lenses you will avoid all the problems with scratching and you can go for years without having to replace them because of scratches on the lenses. If you use a retainer strap or cord and make it a point to wear them around your neck if they are not on your face you will eliminate all the problems of loss and breakage and they should last for many years. I have a pair of Costas that are about 4 years old with glass lenses, they are scratch free and are either on the dash of the truck or around my neck so they can't get lost or broken. Once you spend an 8 to 10 hr. day on the water in a good pair of lenses you will never go back to cheap lenses.

[This message has been edited by kwkfsh (edited 02-16-2003).]

Here is a solution for those of us that need prescription glasses anyway. I purchased magnetic clip- ons. These only work with you're prescription frame, but what a difference. The lenses are high quality coated plastic and add little weight to the frames. They fit very closely to the lenses and are barely noticible.

I find anything that goes over prescription lenses to be uncomfortable and bulky. The extra cost when I got my glasses was about $90. Expensive but worth it considering all the time I spend on the water. And they work any other time I need sunglasses as well too.

I've gone thru many pairs of cheaper glasses until I spent the big bucks about a $100 for Costa Del Mars, what a treat, would not be without them. Lifetime Guaranatee,every once in a while I have an "accident" with them, send them in aand back they come just like new. Very happy with them. Also I add those glue on cheaters to magnify so I can do all my tying with just that pair! my eyes are 54 years old.

I agree on buying a good pair... I had been buying the cheap ones about every year - the plastic gets stracthed easily... I bought a pair of ocean waves and have been very happy - much more confortable and easier on the eyes. Just my opinion...

Wizkid,

Lots of good posts here on the subject of buying top end eyewear.

You only have one pair of eyes--and they have to last a lifetime. So investing in top quality glass lenses, though admittedly pricey, is the only way to go. I have two pair of Costa Del Mar "Wave Killers", a green lens for bright sun, and an amber lens for low light/overcast. I've had both for almost three years and I've worn them 365 days a year, so my return on investment is unbelievable.

Glass is far superior to plastic in its ability to render true colors, resist light distortion, and fight scratches. I further recommend strongly that you buy a wrap-around model. These models block both peripheral light and wind and will increase your comfort one hundred per cent. High quality sunglasses worn in conjunction with a wide brimmed hat will give you the eyes of an osprey.

P.S. If you can get to a Cabelas retail store, they always have dozens of used models/returns on sale for at least half off. Also, fit is a very important issue. Always try them on before buying.

Maui Jim Big Kahuna smile.gif THEE BEST, but YOU PAY for QUALITY.
look at internet autions if you plan on buying wink.gif (around 180.00) retail about 235.00
you will not be disappointed.

I have a pair of Bolle sunglasses that I spent about $90 on with a protection plan that covers them for life. They are like the ones the snowboarders wore in the olypics. They are great, I can see right down into the water and they are awesome for driving. Even in the low light hours they cut down on glare to make everything stick out better. ><>
deadeye