• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hey Maxwell,

I am still getting back to normalcy after spending a week in the Caribbean. Nebags (what we like to call it) is a fun lake, but can humble the best of fishermen at times. Especially in the winter season. I find our best success fishing the open water, however fish can be caught. Word is things are slow right now. In my opinion too many tournaments adding to the pressure, but whatever... That is why I have not even fished it this season yet. I plan on heading out there soon. Send me a PM and I can help you out with some better information. Good luck.

Sorry this has taken so long. I haven't gotten over there lately, but it sounds like she is getting there. Ice still in some areas (not fishable). This opener should be more on the average side of things unlike the last couple of years.

ez,

how far will you be traveling to fish Lk Neb? Driving up from the Twin Cities seems like an awfully long trip for what is a pretty average crappie lake. The ice went out this weekend, but don't expect to see any fish in the shallows yet. That won't be happening for at least a few more weeks. Your best bet is to fish the deep drop-offs near existing/wintered over weed edges and shallow flats. The fish don't show up on the shallows until the water warms and brings the baitfish up. Right now, the baitfish are suspended over deep water, which, coincidentally, is exactly where the crappies are.

I would be a lying if I told you I have never kept a fish out of the lake, but I am telling you the truth when I say it has been 2 years since I have kept a crappie out of there. Here is why: Just like other area lakes around the greater Douglas Cty.

wasn't that long ago we could go out there and catch a ton of crappies, good size slabs and in numbers. Just like any other "hot bite" word got out and in my opinion the lake took a hit. The last few years have been tough to catch like it used to be. At least for me anyway. Yes, we boat or ice the occasional nice slab, but the size and numbers have gone down. This is the same story for most lakes around in our area. Probably very similar to some lakes you frequent down there. Now I am not against keeping a nice meal of fish, but I think it is important to keep the prime females around (just like other species like eyes, etc.) so they can do there business and get the peak cycle back to what it was (wasn't that long ago). Maybe you've heard this before, but fish have genetic make up just like us humans do and when "Joe Smith" takes out a limit (ridiculous limit of 25 fat big crappies). Well, you get the point. That is why I mentioned "let em go, let em grow". It is a campaign for RECYCLED FISH. An organization I strongly believe in. Sounds corny and cliché, but if we all work together, we CAN make a difference.. Check out our HSOforum for more info. Good luck out there man!

btw- I fish Nebags about 75 days a year. Used to fish it 100 days a year, but have found other suitable bites for my liking. Heading out this weekend and will have a report

Jarrid and I are just getting off the lake now. Still not much action in the shallows. We have not hit nebagemon yet. We were on a couple other lakes today chasing with not much panfish luck yet. Just a few. Hard to stay away from the hammer handle pike though. A couple quickly released bonus eyes for me today.