• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

June Trip....new waters

So after 6 trips to the Kenai Peninsula, my wife has convinced me it's time to include Denali in a trip. I figure as long as we're going that route, we might as well take in some more new country. We're renting an RV again, so we'll keep the itinerary pretty open, except for our Denali reservations, which are already made.

What I'm looking for is info on some of the rivers we'll be going by, around June 10th-15th. We'll take the Glenn/Richardson hiways to Valdez, then the Richardson to Paxton, and the Denali hiway across to Denali. Then the Parks hiway back to Anch.

We won't have much time to fish on the way back from Denali, so the rivers between Anch and Denali will have to wait.

I'm looking mostly for salmon runs, and would like to catch our first grayling. Not so interested in trout...I'm not a big flyfisher, and I can catch bows closer to home. Ditto with pike.

So run timing is pretty critical here. Looking at the maps, I see a lot of rivers:) But not many I've heard of to ask about specifically, except the Gulkana?

So really anything along that route that fishes well in early June would be a big help.

Good for you for getting another trip up in Alaska. I've been to Valdez and on the road to Tok but was just moving thru and did not fish so I am no help to you there. Some beautiful country you will be driving through. So far AK in not in my plans this summer but you never know what might come up.

there maybe king opportunities on the gulkana but i am pretty sure they were shut down last year. One river to try for greyling would be brushkana(camp sites available). Its around the middle of the Denali highway. Tangle river is another river where you can find greyling. Name of the game for catching them on a fly rod would be using indicator and nymphs If the water is calm enough to where you can watch a floating fly that is also another great way especially early morning or night. If using conventional gear any type of spinners/flashers would work good. Mepps, blue foxes, small vibrex anything with flash will get them going. Also there is a red run on the klutina i cant remember if its around that time or a little later. I'm sure the salmon guys will chime in also about that area they fish it more then i do.

Think you posted a request on the Alaska Outdoor Forums also? Your doing right by asking multiple sources for opinions. As mentioned getting a Alaskan Highway Angler by Gunnar Pedersen would be the best tool for roadside fishing. The book lays out in simple easy to read and understand method, what to use, types of fish species availble and catch propensity, timing charts and locations for public access for self guided anglers.

I would be careful about taking a rental RV on the Denali Hwy, depending on your rental agreement you may not be able to travel the unimproved road. Like mentioned already there are some good locations along the denali Hwy for arctic grayling.

Early June is a great time for Klutina River sockeye salmon, located at Copper Center. I would also consider the rest stop area just below summit lake for arctic grayling.

I could write a novel here...If you would like detailed information and suggestions contact us through the HSOforum www.alaskansalmonslayers.com we are not guides or experts, but we do catch a lot of fish in Alaska. We enjoy nothing more than to help others achieve success fishing in Alaska.

Hope you have a great trip.

Back in 2000 I did the same loop as you are doing only in reverse. Ours was done the first week of July, so a bit later than yours will be.

Anyway, we stayed 3 days at a nice campground on the Gulkana river, where Sourdough creek enters it. I believe that it was a USFS camground.

We were late for the king run, but we did catch decent numbers of grayling right off the campground shores. The place is south of Paxson lake right off the Richardson.

We did most of our fishing on the Parks on the way up to Denali. Had a great time on Montana Creek for rainbows!

You will have a great time, hoping to get back up in a few years!!

Thanks fivebucks! We leave Friday, rod tube and tackle bags are packed. Guess I'll throw in some clothes at the last minute:)

This will be my least fished trip...gonna be hard, but with Denali in the mix and my wife and 2 daughters in tow it'll be what it'll be.

I got a new DSLR too play with, so hopefully some good photos.

I picked up a new DSLR for my AK trip several years ago when we went out to Katmai and stayed at Alagnak's lodge. Had a blast taking bear pics and a few salmon pics also. I keep meaning to set up my pics on a site like photobucket and if I do I will send you the link. Have fun!

just a fyi kings are slowly rollin into ship creek so if your around anchorage and the tides are in your favor for timing might not be a bad idea to go huck some number 5 or 6 vibraxes

Yeah, I've been following the "other" AK forum:)

Funny, I've never even seen Ship creek, but heard about it enough. Isn't it crazy crowded most of the time? Anywhere to park a 31 ft RV close by in case I get a spare couple hours and swing by there? Suppose I'd have to shell out 50 bucks or whatever for a king stamp then...I wasn't even planning to buy one, and had no plans to fish kings, what with the shape of the runs. But I wouldn't be opposed to bonking a couple hatchery fish!

i am not quite sure how much a day non res king stamp is. I would park at the boat launch that should give you enough room. It can be busy but generally most people dont really fish near the mouth too much. Alot of people fish from the railroad bridge all they way up to the wire that crosses the river just because its not quite as tidal so the fish get "pinched" a little more. I may go there sunday morning and try it out. dont fish it much but why not give it a try. I rolled goose eggs down at seward this past weekend and i need to cure a salmon itch!