• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Olympic Hockey

Bear55

Hey Bear, who were these 2 greatest teams and what one was "slightly" not as good as the other? I certainly hope you werent referring to team USA cause they got outplayed in every aspect of the game, and that is happening today as well. Play has been very FLAT and unorganized. These other teams play very crisp hockey, we do not. How many times have you counted 4 deep in the oppositions zone? Many for me, all bunched up too. We looked like complete arse, makes you wonder how we got to the bronze game. One word: ugly.

Teemu is one of a kind, I've always liked his style, always puts up points. Top 10 all time. Great career.

I don't think anyone can say USA wasn't one of the best teams in the tournament, still stand by that. The last two olympics we gave Canada everything they could handle and then some. No doubt beating them and taking them to OT in 2010 will rank higher than this year but I guess you can say sometimes teams are better when trying to prove themselves vs knowing they are good.

Total pathetic effort today, we didn't deserve a medal and Finland whooped are azz today. Happy for them and to see Selanne go out with a win/medal. Also very excited about what Granlund did in this tournament, kid is only scratching the surface and we are lucky to have him.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Men: It is all star hockey at its best. It is just held one out of four years. The US did not medal. Somewhat of a failure for the time and money put into USA hockey.

Women: They FAILED. The bad call in OT should never have happened, but USA gave up the lead and eventually the Gold Medal and the USA team let it happen.

There is only one game that matters in women's Olympic hockey and that was USA:Canada Gold Medal game. The IOC has publicly stated that Womens Hockey could be on the way out if competitive play does not improve. You cannot have two teams in an Olympic sport. It happened to Women's softball.

Nanne was on kfan yesterday and he really thinks that was it for NHL players. Don't blame them really. 20 days off in middle of season and then injuries for those participating?

He thought the world cup would make a comeback.

If its left up to the greedy owners yes that would be it.... fortunately the players are are 100 percent in favor of continuing to play in the Olympics so maybe it will still happen.

Highest scoring team in the Olympic's and the last 2 games, we forgot to score.

I understand losing to a world power in Canada but even though Finland is good, how in the world did they beat the USA, it's called heart and the never die, after Finland scored 2, we gave up.

The only team to win a medal in each of the last three Olympics? Finland.

Finland is also the only country to win medals (though admittedly no gold) in five of the last six Olympics. No one else can say that. Not Russia. Not Sweden. Not Canada.

Don't dismiss them as a pushover. Since the breakup of the Soviet Union, the three world powers in hockey are Canada, Sweden and Finland. The US, Russia, and Czechoslovakia/Czech Republic are the second tier.

If its left up to the greedy owners yes that would be it.... fortunately the players are are 100 percent in favor of continuing to play in the Olympics so maybe it will still happen.

Though I understand your point, can you blame the "greedy" owners for wanting to protect their investment? Tavarres is out for the season because of an injury caused during the olympics. The NHL shuts down for nearly 3 weeks in the middle of their season and for what gain? They get zero out of this deal and only are left to deal with the negatives (injuries).

No other sport shuts down to let their players participate in the Olympics. NBA players are in the offseason.

Do I enjoy seeing the best players in the world compete every 4 years for their respective countries? Absolutely, but I just dont see how this is going to happen considering the overall impacts to the NHL.

Surprised the players don't have the Olympics participation as part of their NHLPA - CBA. I understand the 20 day layoff makes for a jerky season for the fans but the owners argument about the injury is weak IMO; if they were not playing in the Olympics they'd be playing in the NHL with the same probability of being injured. Unless they argue more probability of injury with more games but come on...the player could tweak his knee going down the steps to the locker room...or playing Frisbee in the parking lot; and the exposure the sport and players get from the Olympics should offset......

To me the issue is more prone to injury with the highest priced assets. It isnt like they have the potential to lose Clayton Stoner its Parise and Suter.

I dont buy for one second that the NHL has a sudden boost in popularity because of the Olympics. The majority of fans interested in watching the Olympics in large part just care about their country vs the discipline itself. I am talking about folks who are not normally a fan of said discipline.

Altho i enjoyed watching olympic hockey, Its a huge buzz kill on the nhl season. we will probably see some ugly hockey for a week or so now, kinda like an extented training camp. dont like the nfl games in europe, and i see mlb is opening in australia this yr to. way to many "specialty" games going on in sports now a days. but money drives everything.

The NHL thinks that the "star power" is what will get them back in the top 4 sports and on sportscenter more and sell more tickets, merch, etc. so they don't want to give up their stars. The owners have to buy insurance on their players and I'm sure that's not cheap.. Olympics should be amateurs anyway IMO, not a bunch of stars making. $6-$8m a year.

I for one like ugly hockey on smaller rinks and am looking forward to tomorrow. I had a hard time catching the games due to the time change anyway, the only 2 games a watched was the US/Rus and US/Can games.