• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Olympic Hockey

Bear55

Well here we go, hard not to watch a tournament featuring the best players in the world. Canada is the favorite as usual but the gab isn't as big as it once was, they are closely followed by US, Sweden, and Russia. Finland was right there but they have a few injuries (Koivu) so they aren't likely to medal. Grandlund and Nino should be playing big roles for their countries.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, some get to watch a tournament of the best players in the world.

NBC is carrying a grand total of 1 hockey game on the NBC channel. The rest is on NBC Sports or other semi-widely spread cable channels. So I'm pretty much screwed out of the whole thing as is anyone with a dish or cable other than Comcast (anyone who doesn't get NBCSN).

Makes you wonder if NBC considered just charging people who don't have cable a small amount to just stream the Olympic games. Networks need to start accommodating streaming users before the group only using streaming becomes too large and the networks become obsolete. Instead they resist change. I, for one, hope they crumble for it.

I'm hearing the Finn team being called "Granlund's Team." That's quite the statement considering he's a 21yo who is one year out of his rookie NHL season where he played limited games. Says something about what the Finns think of him smile

Lines at practice today. Not really sure how you lable them 1-4 so why don't we just say in no particular order. That MN line looks extremely hard to play against, kind of wonder if they were made to face the other teams top line.

Van Riemsdyk-Pavelski-Kessel

Pacioretty-Stastny-Callahan

Brown-Kesler-Kane

Parise-Backes-Oshie

extra: Wheeler, Stepan

Suter-Fowler

McD-Carlson

Shattenkirk-Martin

Orpik-Faulk

Sounds like more line shuffling the past couple days, will be interesting to see who they go with tomorrow but also if those lines change against Russia. Quick getting the start, guessing Miller against Russia unless Quick is on fire.

Canada vs US women playing right now, Canucks up 2-1 in the third.

Too bad about the Women's side. 3 goals by CAN in the third is what I read.

Anyone else think Brown has no place on this team?

16Pts this year

+/- of 1

Dirty player

This is what's representing our country, as an A no less. crazy

Enjoy watching the women play.

Canada women turned it up after the goal that was allowed to count after whistle blew. Odd deal how that played out, but move on an Play On.

Only one ref and she did miss a lot you can see on TV or from stands.

Few missed to many women on ice an couple other things but over all was pretty even fun game "Give n Take".

Except when USA took a 2nd time out ...got it....Big goof.

USA women did not shoot in 3rd until couple minutes remaining.

Dump an chase an Canada ate it up.

Defense misque by USA gave up a fun break away goal that was real sweet.

Fun last two minutes.

crazy

US women likely get another crack at Canada.

Yes they likely will and it will be a cat fight to the end. I watched them today play Canada and might of even won if the officiating would have called some penalties on Canada. 3 missed calls for "to many chics" on the ice, and allowing a goal after whistle.

6:30am tomorrow can't come soon enough to see the men's squad play.

NBC Sports is on Directv. Not sure about DishNetwork, but I was watching the first few minutes of the Men's game this morning before heading in to work. I got to see the first goal. Nice pass and one-timer.

The US Women kinda got jobbed. Thankfully in the new format this doesnt kill their chances to still win Gold, but that was frustrating the goal after the whistle and several other missed or incorrect calls. They did have mistakes on both sides, but I think the ones against the US were more punishing.

The Men are destroying Slovakia right now. When I saw the potential of Parise, Oshie and Backes on a line it had me think of Parise, Nino and ???

That line should be really dominant in the tourney.

Saw the first, both teams didn't look very sharp, probably a little feeling out period while guys get use to their new teammates. Us was ahead 1-0.

Like CM said, US must have went a little crazy in the 2nd, 7-1 now with a period to play.

Canada vs USA was a poorly officiated game. USA also did not play the best in the final period.

I am not that upset with the loss as it should make the USA much hungrier. We had beat them like 4 straight games in international play so it was only a matter of time before they best us.

Should be a great GOLD medal game when they meet unless there is a huge upset somewhere along the way.

Prior to the USA women beating the Canadian Women 4 times in a row, they beat us 3 times in a row.

So yes, this may have been a good thing to get a taste of losing, but Canada is certainly capable of beating them.

One thing I noticed from that game is that Canada was very physical. As physical as I think you can be in Women's hockey. I saw at one point two Canadians converge on our little speed demon and crash her into the boards. She left the ice very slowly and I didnt see her return after that. I cant remember her name off the top of my head, but she is like lightning in a bottle.

I managed to avoid looking at anything that might tell me the score of this game so I could watch it tonight. So far we're up by 6 before the end of the 2nd and the Slovak coach just now calls a timeout...I think we probably got this one. grin

Let's not get too crazy here. Slovakia is not the same team as 2010. I mean, Radeviovich (I butchered that spelling) made their Olympic team for crying out loud!

Yup Slovakia is kind of shell of their former selves, however what we have here is a 4-5 horse race for Gold and two of those teams are playing tomorrow. It doesn't really matter if we win or lose this game but you know everyone will be a little more pumped up. Russia "might" have the crowd on their side too, should be fun.