• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

200 Verado vs. 200 proXS

SledNeck

I would assume that the question about what boat will come into play, so I will ask, what boat will this be installed on?

I don't have any experience with either motor specifically, but looking through some of the verado vs OptiMax stuff I have read over the last year, it would appear if you are running a bass boat the Opti may be the better choice, but if you are running a heavier deep V hull, the Verado has more of what you need.

I don't have either, and haven't driven those two specifically. But the biggies to me, from being a fan of both, would be:

quieter - verado

cool sound - opti wink

kick butt power steering/shift - verado

speed and low-end umph - opti

fuel - from what i have read i think the opti actually may get better fuel efficiency, but not sure.

I would love to be in your shoes wink will be a nice rig either way, congrats!

Well even though the weight may be the same, the verado is a 4 cylinder and the opti is a 6 cylinder. Both will have around the same mpg. The 200 opti is very strong with around 220hp at the prop on the dyno. The verado makes around 190ish. Trolling down at lower speeds will be better with the Verado.

Depends on what all you want out of a motor. If speed and power is your biggest concern the Opti is the right decision.

Just don't buy an E-tec!

The performance between the 200 pro xs and standard 200 opti is negligible. Both put out near 220hp.......actually think they may be the same with different stickers.

Yeah the proXS has different reeds and such

Can't understand why u can get a 175 and 225 in 25" but not 200. Dumb

Looks like I'm going standard optimax

Another consideration is if your a late season anger. With the ProXS you can winterize in about 30 seconds, (Besides checking your prop for fishing line and changing/checking the gear lube). When you winterize the 4-stroke, your done for year. If you have the ProXS and you get that awesome warm november day, go fishing and winterize afterwards and don't worry about it.

Another consideration is if your a late season anger. With the ProXS you can winterize in about 30 seconds, (Besides checking your prop for fishing line and changing/checking the gear lube). When you winterize the 4-stroke, your done for year. If you have the ProXS and you get that awesome warm november day, go fishing and winterize afterwards and don't worry about it.

Why do you say that you are done for the year with a 4 stroke?

If you don't fog your 4 stroke, (usually done by spraying fogging oil directly into each cylinder through the removed spark plugs and turning the flywheel by hand) you will rust the inside of you cylinder walls, cause corrosion, and also possibly damage to the engine from trapped water. Have you ever read your manual?

Page 142 of the current verado manual without the spaces this is the procedure if you store a 4-stroke longer than 2 months : www . mercury-marine . eu / cache / Documents / Mercury / Verado%20250 / 0 /en-GB / DocumentFull . pdf

Protecting Internal Engine Components

IMPORTANT: Refer to Maintenance ‑ Spark Plug Inspection and

Replacement for correct procedure for removing spark plugs.

• Remove pencil coils and spark plugs.

• Spray approximately 30 ml (1 fl oz) of Storage Seal Rust

Inhibitor into each spark plug hole.

• Actuate key/push button start switch to crank the engine

through one start cycle, which will distribute the storage seal

throughout the cylinders.

• Install spark plugs and pencil coils.

Who stores their boat for longer than two months??

OK, seriously, I run a 250 Verado. I have run big HP DFI 2 strokes in the past and won't ever again. Here are my pluses

Power steering, way cool when you have a bad shoulder.

The motor is darn near silent at idle and cruise, and makes an awesome sound at WOT. For a family boat the quietness will keep everyone happy.

Midrange power is unbelievable.

No oil to add.

Change oil once a year, $100 and very, very easy DIY.

Minuses. It is on the heavy side, and if you want to run a remote kicker an additional battery will be needed.

It will be a little more thirsty at WOT than the Opti is, but when you factor in the cost of the Opti oil it's a wash or even a plus to the Vrod.

No loud beep in the middle of the lake because you forgot to check your oil.

IF you winterize it and do it at the fall oil change time it will add about 15 minutes to your maintenance.