• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2hp Solo Issue

holmsvc

Question

Ive had my Strikemaster for 3 or 4 years. It has become more and more of a pain in cold weather to start. If it's warm it fires right up. If its out in temps 5 above or less for more than a couple hours it struggles to start.

Yesterday it was -10. I went to start my auger it didnt sound like it was trying to start. I put it in the cab of the truck with the heat on for 15 min started 2nd pull. After an hour we moved and the auger wouldn't start again

. Put in the truck with the heat on for 10 min fired up first pull.

I put a new plug in the auger in December. I run premium gas with amsoil 90:1. This last gallon I started adding Seafoam hoping it would help, but it really hasn't much.

Any suggestions? My buddy suggested a new carb kit. He also suggested maybe adding a little heat to the gas tank. I don't want to buy a new auger, but I fish too much and hole hop a lot. I don't have time for issues like this

8 answers to this question

I would run the oil a little heaver in the gas, say 50-60 to 1. A little more oil in the gas, more oil residue on the cylinder walls, more compression, easier starting. Granted, it will smoke more, but it will probley start better.

Premium fuel was made for yesteryears big block high compression engines.You might try regular with a cap full of seafoam.or a moisture removing additive like heat.Regular or lower rated octane fuel does not require high compression to combust.

I am not a fan of seafoam (except for certain instances) or ethanol but at times when thats all thats available you haven't much choice.Try some 87 rated octane fuel see how it works?Could step the plug up to a hotter plug.Try the 87 rated fuel see what happens it cant hurt and may surprise you.

I run Sabre in my Solo and it has been nothing but awesome in my Solo. -25 and then yes, it does take a few plls but always starts. I push the primer bulb 5-6 times, put it on full choke and then start it. Then slowly take the choke off as it warms.

Carb sounds to maybe be the issue or maybe a little water in the system.

looking for a comparison on the new solo Magnum power head gas tank ventilation. the old tecumseh units has a screw on top of the gas cap for ventilation. There is a vent tube in the gas tank that is clearly shown in a picture in the instruction with the new solo unit.

I bought a new solo magnum today and I dont see a vent tube at the top of the gas tank when you remove the cap like the picture shows.The tube comes flsuh with the bottom of the filler neck. Mine has none. Did they re design the way the gas tank is vented with out the tube being at the top of tank. ?

I'll try mixing up a new batch of 87 Oct at 50:1 with heat.

I do want to say that once it started it ran great had no problem drilling through 30 plus inches.

You might as well run ethanol gas if your going to put heat in it all you doing is making the same thing.

I'd check your tank vent. Warm could make a tank somewhat pressurized, easy starting. Cold could make a vacuumed tank which will make it hard to get gas going to the carb. That's the problem I had with an Eskimo