• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Line counter

Snook

Question

12 answers to this question

Sorry, I've only had two that did not work worth a hoot. One was the B brand and the other a Shakespeare, if I remember correctly. I finally bought a line counter reel... Much, much better. Only wish I'd bought a bigger one to be able to put on more leadcore line. The "portable" ones never stayed in place properly or would let the line spring free, esp. with fireline. Maybe you will have better luck, if you get one. Hope so!

I have a Berkley that I use to fill reels. It works for the most part, but smaller line dia. will slide thru with out reading on the meter. You also need to have constant tension on the line or doesn't work either. It's also a pain in that it counts backwards. If you plan to use it for fishing I would rec. getting a line counter reel. Many moderate price ones out there that will serve you well will much less hassle.

Really on leadcore you don't need a line counter. You should let all the lead out past the rod tip or planer board so don't break off the line.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that. There's many times when the fish I've been catching will bite on 64 feet but not on 68 feet in the morning but then in the afternoon you have to slide out to 68 to 72 feet back.

Setting up your lead core for a certain death I suppose would work if that was the only depth you ever fished, but that really narrows down where you can fish.

Back to the original question. I have used the Rapala line counter and would not recommend it for any kind of serious fishing. To much line slippage IMO. Buy a decent line counter reel and you won't regret it.

I run my boards rite on the leadcore if need be,never had any issues and been doing it for a few seasons.That way I can run however many colors out I want.I run a few of the cheap 50$ linecounter combos I purchased up in Rogers and have been using them for five years with no complaints at all.Buy the big reel if your going to run leadcore tho,I pack all ten colors on mine,I normally walleye fish so I dont need ten colors,but if I go to Superior I also dont have to buy another steup if I want to run more colors then what Id use for walleyes.Kind of double duty leadcore combo for walleye/superior,keeps the cost down a bit.

The linecounter reel I have came from Rogers and has worked well, so far. Have only used it on Leech for walleyes and it worked fine, with no obvious leadcore line damage, even after several good sized fish. However, my fishing partner let me use his Shimano Tekota line counter reel the next morning and I instantly fell in love with that one-well built machine. Guess you get what you pay for, but all the linecounter reels I've used(4 brands) are all better than the portable counters I've had. Guess I better inspect my leadcore line before the season starts.