• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cook Top vs Oven

eagle_3464

Those of you that have the full range with oven, how much do you use the oven? Do you use it more on weekend trips or do you use it also on day trips? When I build, the main use will be on my home lake for mostly day trips. Rarely will the house be used for extended trips so I am wondering if it is worth an extra $225 to have the oven. If you don't have the oven, do you wish you did? Opinions please.

I like to cook…. getting fat….and love the oven wink Tough call. Seems like you are putting thought to it and on the right track. If you are just using it for short periods of time, think you can easily get buy with a cooktop. You can even get by for a long period of time with just a cooktop. Ovens are easier though. Simply depends how much time and effort you care to put into cooking and weigh that out over the cost. The 225 is worth it to me, but maybe not to others….

I have never used my cooktop because I have the oven. Pizzas, hot dish, baked fish, toasted sandwiches like mentioned above. If plan on spending any extended time in your house an oven is a must. I got my oven from a guy that only wanted a cook top. To each their own I guess!

I didn't install either. I have a small deep fryer and a BUTANE, not propane, stove. Works great an stores easily so the house has more open space. Thinking of a little rotating pizza cooker but I'm not sure why.

I have both and use the oven quite a bit on overnight stays for pizza's and hot dishes. If I did not stay overnight, I would more than likely go with the cooktop.

Nice part about the oven is if you do decide later to use it overnight more, the oven is nice to have. Love my oven and I use that more than the cooktop. I mostly use the cooktop for coffee in the morning and always have a kettle with water on the cooktop for keeping humidity in the house. I hate the dryness anywhere.

I also bring a portable gas grill with so one can make hamburgers or steaks on the grill outside.

I have the oven/stovetop combo and have been very disapointed in the oven, it burns everything!!! And I hate burnt food!! So now I just plan my meals on the stovetop which is easy enough to do.

I put a thermometer in the oven and it runs about 50 degrees hot, I guess I need to try it again, taking that into consideration.

I wouldn't build one without the oven. They are by no means a Viking range, but they do the trick and give you a lot of cooking flexibility.

About half the time I can cook a pizza to perfection. The other half of the time the bottom turns to charcoal before the cheese even melts. I finally figured out that a pizza stone placed below the rack in the oven spreads the heat out and pretty much eliminates the charcoal'd pizza crust.

If it were me I'd skip both.

If you are using this house for mostly short day trips around home you probably won't find a need to do a ton of cooking. In that case I'd opt for saving space and leave out the cook top entirely. That should allow you to eliminate a section of counter top and in turn free up some floor space. That added floor space will probably get used far more often than a cook top on a short day trip.

If you find yourself needing to do a little cooking you can easily replace the cook top with a portable Coleman propane cook top. You can fold it up and store it out of the way or leave it in the truck and only bring it out on the occasions you need it. They have two burners and I've cooked tons of stuff on them while camping. There are plenty of other portable cooking devices that you could use as well, just use whatever fits your cooking style.

On the occasions you take a longer trip with the house you may find yourself wishing for an oven but its a trade off for the extra space. When I do weekend trips to Mille Lacs or URL I stay in rentals and none have had ovens and we still eat just fine. We just tailor our dinners based on what cooking tools we have on had.

I am planning on using an oven in mine, it really doesn't take up that much space... plus if you have to, you can store things inside of it when you aren't using it. I don't really see a loss of space at all. I feel if you don't get an oven you will always regret not having one, and the first time you have that delicious pizza you will be so thankful you put it in.

I did notice there are two common sizes of ovens, 17" and 21". I believe it just means how tall the oven is? Does anyone have any opinion on which size a guy should go with?

I finally figured out that a pizza stone placed below the rack in the oven spreads the heat out and pretty much eliminates the charcoal'd pizza crust.

Do you put the pizza stone in the oven everytime you use the oven?? Sure would be nice to have some fresh rolls in the morning with my coffee but the times I've tried them they've burnt...

I like the stove top even for short trips after work, drill holes, get lines going, throw leftover hotdish or soup or sausage in the pan and you have a nice hot supper.

I don't have a house but have given it great thought and if I were to get a house no matter what the use I would have to have an oven. Nothing beats a good quick pizza while fishing or fresh baked cookie (kid loves that!!!) Also it expands the dinner options when going on a weekend trip. We have had alot of great meals in the over over the years in my friends fish houses!! Good memeories