• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Running natural gas line

Dozer

I want to run a underground natural gas line out to my detached shop, approx 150' away from the utility room of my house where I have access to existing natural gas service. According to everything I can find on the net I will need at least a 3/4" line for a 75,000btu furnace. What is the best way to go about this? Where can I get all the supplies I need?

Do you have a high or low pressue gas system? If it is high pressure you will have a regulator in the house. Then you most likely could go before the regulator to the garage. If it is low pressure you will need to go from the meter most likely. The gas line coming into the house needs to be big enough to handle your appliances in the house plus the garage. The high pressure you can use a smaller line. Around here the gas company will upgrade your system to high pressue but you need to have the regulators installed also.

I have a regulator in the basement. So I would want to tee into the line feeding that regulator? Where is a good place to get lines, fitting and a regulator for in the shop? Is this something I need to talk to Xcel (my gas provider) about?

I don't have the book at home to find out what size line you need. You need to see what you can use from your gas provider. We can use copper in our town but in a town 40 miles away we cann't. Putting black pipe under ground can not be done as it will rust away. If you can use copper it will most likely be 1/2L you will need for that distance. That will be 5/8 od pipe. You would come off before the regulator in the house and add one by the heater in the garage. Make sure your line comming into the house is also big enough.

If you have regulators before your appliances then you have medium pressure gas (2 pound gas) from your meter which is more than enough for anything your ever going to do to your house. Run your line from your meter underground to your shop in plastic piping underground and transition from either plastic to soft copper or black iron pipe. the plastic used is similiar to pex but you would have to contact the gas company to confirm what the exact piping is. bury your pipe a minimum of a foot underground. Size your line according to these things. Pressure of gas (in your case 2 pound gas), Amount of BTU's of your heater, distance from meter to your heater in shop, and type of piping used.

I had the gas co. run my line. They hooked it up to the meter, ran the pipe (5/8), and then stubbed it up by the garage. It was up to me from there and the furnace guy did the rest.

How much did it cost you for the gas company to run the line?

It has been 12 years ago when it was done. If I remember right it wasn't too bad. Guessing around $50. It was 35 ft and they were doing other work in the area so don't know if that made a difference or not. Don't have anything to look back on as I don't keep certain bills, paperwork after 7 years.

I used plastic pipe I bought from a local plumbing supply house. Your local building inspection office will have information on requirements for a buried gas line. Laying the pipe is easy enough, but I hired a plumber to make the connections. Wasn't as expensive as I thought it would be to do this.